Since 2001, the director, department of physical education, athletics and recreation at UTM has been  Ken Duncliffe. As director, Duncliffe is responsible for the overall management of resources, services, and programs run for students, staff, and the broader community at UTM. He is also responsible for 20 full-time and over 400 part-time staff.

Before assuming his position as director, Duncliffe held senior management positions in sport and recreation in both Toronto and Hamilton, adding up to over 35 years of experience in community recreation, sport, facility development, and resource management.

In his current role, Duncliffe has helped bring about positive change for the UTM student experience. The student population has grown to almost 14,000, and programming has been developed to meet the evolving student needs. His goals are to help students have the opportunity to incorporate physical activity and engagement into their daily lives outside the classroom.

One major achievement for UTM athletics during Duncliffe’s tenure has been the 2006 opening of the Recreation, Athletics and Wellness Centre (RAWC). The facility adds 74,000 square feet  of athletic space to the campus.

In the RAWC, U of T students have access to a double gymnasium, fitness centre, swimming pool, and running track. The facility is a big factor in increasing student participation rates.

All three campuses of U of T have independent departments that manage the athletics and recreation programs and services. UTSC has the Department of Athletics and Recreation, UTSG has the Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education, and UTM has the Department of Physical Education, Athletics, and Recreation. Each department operates independently, but many tri-campus initiatives are available for students.

All U of T students are eligible to participate in the Varsity Blues Intercollegiate program, as well as take part in drop-in activities at any campus. Intramurals, tournaments, and tri-campus opportunities are ways for students to play with students from other campuses with transportation provided.

The Mississauga campus boasts a continuum of programming — from casual recreation to varsity excellence. This year, the UTM Eagles have entered the Ontario College Athletic Association, which includes colleges like Durham, Fanshawe, Humber, Flemming, and more. Additionally, they entered tournaments in men’s and women’s indoor soccer, badminton, and cross country.

With Duncliffe as UTM’s athletic director, the campus can look forward to further growth of programs and services to meet the growth of UTM. He hopes to keep every student engaged in physical activity of some regard.