The Varsity Blues hockey teams took part in Saturday’s double-header of the season this weekend, with U of T’s women defeating the high-flying Laurier University Golden Hawks 5-4 and the men besting cross-town rivals York 3-2.

Saturday afternoon’s game against Laurier represented a real test for the Blues, as the Golden Hawks entered the contest with an Ontario University Athletics (OUA)-leading 54 goals. Concerns among the faithful seemed justified following a first period in which the Golden Hawks outplayed the Blues, leading 2-1.

The Blues were better in the second period, but it was Laurier who added to their lead with star forward Tammy Freiburger scoring twice in the first 13 minutes.

Undaunted by the 4-1 deficit, the Blues scored twice in the closing minutes of the second period to bring the game within reach. With five and a half minutes remaining, U of T rookie Kassandra Roache scored her first OUA goal, winning a battle in front of the net and catching Laurier goaltender Amanda Smith off-guard with a quick five-hole shot. Roughly three minutes later, Kristi Riseley scored a tap-in power play goal from a great feed by veteran defender Stacey Oue.

Laurier was excellent in the third period, snuffing out U of T’s offense with a relentless forecheck, but Riseley managed to tie it with less than two minutes to play, redirecting Taylor Day’s shot right under the crossbar.

Following a goal-less overtime, the game progressed to a shootout. After four misses, U of T’s electrifying Jacqueline Scheffel snuck a shot just under Smith’s blocker. Star goaltender Nicole Kesteris shut the door on Laurier’s final shooter to seal the 5-4 comeback victory.

Saturday’s five-goal effort was the second straight for the Blues, who have seemingly put concerns regarding their ability to score goals to bed. Veteran defender April Looije was spot on when she stressed patience in an interview with The Varsity two weeks ago; the goals have, indeed, come.

An hour after the women’s triumph, the Blues men played one of their best games to date, overwhelming the York University Lions with their trademark brand of high-intensity hockey and scoring three times in the opening eight minutes.

Veteran sniper Jeff Brown scored first for U of T minutes into the period, jumping on a loose puck in the slot and blasting a low shot past York goaltender Chris Perugini’s blocker. Star forward Michael Markovic added to U of T’s lead 49 seconds later, beating his man on an odd-man rush to bang home an Andrew Doyle rebound.

Veteran two-way forward Paul Van De Velde rounded out the barrage of scoring three minutes later, corralling a Tyler Liukkonen wrap-around attempt and sliding the puck past a helpless Perugini.

The Lions responded late in the period with veteran York forward Tyler McGee scoring on a lovely cross-ice feed from rookie Kyle Campbell.

The Blues kept up the intensity in the second frame, forcing Perugini to make several great stops while fifth-year goaltender Garrett Sheehan was excellent when called upon.

Down two goals, the York Lions played aggressively in the final period, controlling the pace of play and repeatedly hemming the Blues into their zone as they adopted a defensive posture.

The Lions did manage to pull within one with a late goal by star winger Michael Santini, but Garrett Sheehan stopped 12 of 13 shots in the final period, and the Blues hung on for a well-deserved victory.

Following the match, Sheehan stressed the importance of this win, stating that it was “a really important game in the playoff race.”

Pressed on whether the club had turned a corner following a trying autumn, Sheehan felt they had and that this success was hard-earned, stating: “We just needed a couple bounces to go our way… but I think the effort has always been there.”