The University of Toronto is home to one of the largest North American Intramural leagues with an average 10,000 members. The indoor cricket season is in full-blown preparation mode and the new intramural office location (the main floor of Varsity Center) is bustling with activity.

One of the driving forces of making these athletic activities come together is assistant manager Mohsin Bukhari. He took a few minutes to explain to The Varsity what to expect for this up-coming season.

There are three levels of cricket that are offered for various levels of interest, the first being the intramural level that is coming into its fifth year and is open to players of any level. Bukhari hopes that this year will see the first all-women’s team participate; a qualifiable team consists of 7-8 players.

The second level is tri-campus, which is holding its tryouts on Monday, January 26 at 9:30 pm. This league pits all three U of T campuses against each other in a two-day tournament on February 13 and 27. This league features a higher level of competition and coaching, as well as a chance to play for the coveted tri-campuses championship.

The third level is known as the Clubs Cup Cricket tournament, designed for recognized Ulife Clubs. Cup favourites such as the Pakistani Student Federation (PSF) and the Indian Student Society (ISS) bring a loyal draw every year. The tournament will take place in late March, with more details being released on the intramurals website soon.

Mohsin applies a structured flexibility to the league that makes it fun and convenient for all players involved at every level. A condensed season has resulted in ease of commitment for teams and players.

Those who lack experience in the sport should not be intimidated; the leagues feature a one-day mentorship clinic where experienced players share tips and explain the inner workings of the game.

If you have a basic level of fitness and want to experience a great way to exercise your body and mind, any level of the Intramural Cricket League may suit your interest.