Being a student living in one of Canada’s most fashionable cities has both fantastic pros and undeniable cons, the largest and most problematic being that many of us are very, very broke. It can daunting to stay on top of current trends on a budget, but fear not: fashion and frugality don’t have to be mutually exclusive. In fact, they often come together in one of the best shopping experiences available: thrifting.

For every occasion, there is an affordable thrifted outfit — we’ve gathered three different locations and three different outfits for your consideration to show how easy it really can be.

Vintage clothes storeDSC_1357Outfit: Going out — concert
We recommend: Black Market,
256a Queen Street West
Budget: $20

A Toronto classic, Black Market is home to a vast and eclectic collection of unisex alternative clothing. While it is quite the treasure trove, you have to be prepared to dig. The warehouse feel and grungy atmosphere can be a bit intimidating, but there is gold to be found among the many racks of quirky sweaters and army jackets.

Vintage clothes storeDSC_1253We went for an ensemble suited for an indoor indie band show featuring one of the stores’ classic printed t-shirts and a blue suede high waisted skirt — a look that came in at under 20 dollars. The very stylish staff didn’t hesitate to crowd around the dressing room to offer their opinions.

Black Market is a sure-fire hit for casual clothing, and if you get tired of thrifting, you can always take a break and browse through the music section or get your haircut at the barber’s in the back.

Vintage clothes storeDSC_1456Outfit: Business casual — interview
We recommend: Kind Exchange,
379 Queen West
Budget: $20-30

For your more practical needs, we turn to the trusty Kind Exchange, a chain of stores that offer a wide variety of barely used, classic name brand pieces at more than affordable prices. If you’re savvy about name brands, the Eaton Centre has nothing on this place — clothes from H&M to Ralph Lauren are all very gently used and pleasingly priced, although the selection is somewhat meagre in terms of men’s clothing.

For those on an especially tight budget, everything in the basement of the Queen West location is five dollars, and the proceeds go to a connected charity. The store does require some searching to find the particularly good steals, so we came up with our outfit after about half an hour and a few quick changes. In the end, we were able to put together an entire interview outfit, featuring ALDO shoes, skirt, and H&M blouse for under 30 dollars.

Vintage clothes storeDSC_1473Outfit: Formal — date
We Recommend: Flashback Vintage,
33 Kensington Avenue
Budget: $30-50

Nestled among the other vintage options of Kensington Avenue, Flashback is your best bet for affordable formal wear. The shop is a collection of garments from the early to mid-late twentieth century. Flashback’s collection of clothing makes you nostalgic for an era you never lived through. Although housing an extensive array of mink furs and men’s leather jackets, Flashback is most renowned for its vintage dresses.

After sifting through racks packed with flapper dresses, ’40s gowns, and ’50s party frocks, we were able to find a simple and delicate black dress for 40 dollars. A bit of a splurge in terms of our budget, but a very reasonable price considering the quality and style of the dress, easily worth upwards of a hundred at any current designer store. We were able to find a pair of heels which paired perfectly with the dress for 10 dollars, making for a grand total of 50. Even if channeling the ’50s vibe isn’t quite your style, Flashback is definitely worth the visit for its quaint charm and retro ambiance.

Honorable Mentions

Penny Arcade Vintage
177 Dundas Street West
This sweet boutique on Dundas is loved for its warm and inviting atmosphere.

Public Butter
1290 Queen Street West
A stand-out shop among the numerous vintage stores along Queen West for its reasonably priced selection and its diversity of staple pieces mixed with eccentric gems.

Courage My Love
14 Kensington Avenue
A Kensington classic well known for its hefty collection of vintage jewelry and bead works as well as its adorable set-up.