The Governing Council Chamber echoed with the sound of thunderous applause this evening when two motions pertaining to the Student Commons project were finally passed. Students whistled loudly in celebration and many rose in standing ovation when the motions were approved.

Some of the benefits of the Student Commons that students highlighted at the meeting were the accessibility of the building. The Student Commons is set to include gender-neutral washrooms and a new elevator. It will also facilitate collaboration between campus organizations, and provide lounge space for students who do not feel part of any specific campus group.

The motions were a Revised Agreement for the Student Commons and the Report of the Project Planning Committee.

The major changes made in the Revised Agreement were related to the Student Commons Management Committee, the body responsible for the management and operations of the building.

Under the Revised Agreement, the Management Committee will comprise 14 members. The Agreement stipulates that all but one of the voting members must be full-time undergraduate students at the St George Campus.

Seven of the voting members will be appointed by the University of Toronto Students’ Union (UTSU) Board of the Directors and the remaining six voting members will be nominated by the UTSU executive. The remaining non-voting member will be the Facility Manager, also appointed by the UTSU.

The Revised Agreement arose from concerns expressed by UTSU members, particularly regarding the structure of the Management Committee.

According to the timeline outlined in the Report of the Project Planning Committee, the selection of the design team will take place between May and July 2015, with the Construction Award given in August 2016.

The Report forecasts occupancy beginning September 2017.

Full story in print on Monday.