University College (UC) student William Deane passed away suddenly on Wednesday, according to an e-mail sent by college principal Donald Ainslie and UC Dean of Students Melinda Scott.

Deane was a resident of Wallace House at University College, and a rugby player for the Varsity Blues. He was also a brother of the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity. The fraternity praised Deane for his character and expressed deep sadness at the loss. “William exemplified the true spirit of the Alpha Delta Phi in his kindness, generosity and strong leadership,” Alpha Delta Phi posted to their Facebook page Thursday.

Students who knew Deane remember him for his confidence, kindness, and charisma. U of T student Juliana Meloche knew Deane for five years. She says she will remember him for these traits, and the personal support and friendship he gave to her. “He would light up any room that he walked into with a huge smile, and make sure to acknowledge everyone that was there. On a personal note, when I dealt with a difficult time in high school, I remember Will always making an effort to make sure that I was comfortable and had someone to talk to.”

Meloche added that Deane was the kind of person who put his heart and soul into everything he took on. “Whatever he invested himself in — whether it be sports, school or friendships — he made sure to always commit to it with everything that he had, and somehow always managed to be the best at it, while helping others along the way,” Meloche says.

A visitation for Deane was held on Sunday at The McEachnie Funeral Home, in Ajax. A funeral service will be held Monday at the Pickering Village United Church.

Alpha Delta Pi will also be hosting a memorial for Deane on March 7.

In lieu of flowers, Deane’s family have requested donations be made to jack.org.