Content warning: discussion of child sexual abuse

Former University of Toronto professor Benjamin Levin has been sentenced to three years in prison after pleading guilty to possessing and making child pornography and counseling someone to commit sexual assault. According to Ontario Court Justice Heather McArthur, he is also unquestionably guilty of distributing child pornography.

Authorities became aware of Levin’s crimes when he sent explicit images and stories detailing violent sexual assault of children. While there is no evidence of Levin committing sexual assault, he was found guilty of encouraging an undercover officer to sexually assault and otherwise harm a child for his pleasure.

Levin was regarded as one of the top in his professional field of childhood education. He has held the title of deputy education minister in Ontario. Levin was also the Canada research chair in education and leadership policy at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at U of T.

Following his arrest in 2013, Levin has been out on a $100,000 bail. Once released, Levin will have restrictions on his Internet use and presence in locations where there are children under the age of 16. In addition, his DNA and name will be included on the sex offender’s registry for life.

Correction (June 2, 2015, 8:04 pm): A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Levin was Ontario’s minister of education, when he was in fact the deputy minister of education. The Varsity regrets the error.