University of Toronto’s Food Services (UTFS) is providing students the option of loading flexible bookstore dollars onto their TCards through the TCard+ meal program.

Following its launch at UTSC last year, the TCard+ program has expanded to UTSG, marking the first time that students will be able to use one unique plan for both merchandise and food on campus.

The Food Services website advertises the card as ideal for students who don’t want to carry cash but want the flexibility of being able to use the card at various locations on campus. With a minimum load of $250, students can use the card to purchase items at the bookstore, Varsity Sports Centre, and participating TCard+ food locations on campus. These locations include Café Reznikoff, the Robarts cafeteria, The Green Beet, and a variety of other dining halls and cafés on campus. The card can be used by students, staff, and faculty of the St. George campus, and bookstore dollars do not expire.

According to UTSGFS, the TCard+ simplifies the process of meal plans for students by making it easy to identify where the card can be used. There have always been meal plans on TCards, but they could often only be used at a single college or dining hall.

After already combining five plans from last year into a single plan this year, Food Services’ eventual goals are to create an all-encompassing “campus plan” and take away students’ confusion surrounding meal plans.

Students who use their TCard+ as a method of payment will receive the added benefits of a five per cent  discount from textbook rentals at the bookstore as well as 10 per cent  off of stationary, bags, and backpacks.

There will be additional deals for TCard+ holders throughout the academic year, such as secret sales, where TCard+ users will receive a secret word to take advantage of promotions. Additionally, UTSG Food Services have announced that for the month of October, anyone who purchases a meal plan will be eligible to win an iPad.

By amalgamating several campus products into one card, there is greater value for users. “Students already spend money on campus, but there is opportunity for savings,” commented Jaco Lokker, executive chef and director of Food Services. According to Lokker, the card “enhances the student experience” by simplifying the otherwise complicated meal plan process while boasting cost reductions for students.

Students, faculty, and staff can load their TCards with bookstore dollars online through the Meal Plan purchase tab on the Food Services website or at their office at 214 College St.