Toronto Police were called to the scene of a shooting that occurred just south of College Street on Spadina Avenue at 3:18 AM on January 30. The violence killed two people and injured three.

A yet to be identified assailant fired at a group of five men in front of the New Ho King restaurant, a Chinese restaurant popular among U of T students due to its close proximity to campus.

Detective Sergeant Mike Carbone told media at a press conference that “some type of altercation” prompted the shooting. One victim was pronounced dead at the scene; another succumbed to his injuries in hospital. The other three victims remain in hospital. The identities of the victims will remain confidential until their families have been notified. Spadina Avenue was closed off between College and Dundas for the police investigation. Carbone said that there are not enough details to release a suspect description and that police are canvassing the area for video footage of the incident.

“As you probably already know, it’s very, very early in the investigation,” said Carbone. “My message here today is to report or to encourage anyone who was in the area of Spadina and Nassau at around 3:15 in the morning to give the Toronto Police a call, or Crime Stoppers.”