For the past 15 years, the highest governing body of university sports in Canada was Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) in English, Sport interuniversitaire canadien (SIC) in French, each with their own logo. As of October 20, the CIS changed its name to U Sports.

Along with the name change, the league adopted a new logo: designed by Vancouver-based design firm Hulse and Durell, it is an uppercase ‘U’ with ‘SPORTS’ superimposed on top, crowned by a red maple leaf.

Replacing the previous names and logos, U Sports’ rebranding aesthetically unites the organization for the first time in its history.

Fifty-six universities and 12,000 student athletes operate under the national organization; U Sports CEO Graham Brown hopes that the rebranding will empower their student athletes.

Additionally, U Sports has updated its website and social media channels to reflect the new brand, with a promise to use “every technology possible to highlight, celebrate, and present the accomplishments of [their athletes].”

Brown said their aim is “to create a massive shift in the way university sports are consumed in a fast-changing digital era,” with things like digital streaming becoming an increasingly popular alternative to television. U Sports will officially launch its new website early next year.