The day after President-elect Donald Trump was elected, approximately 10,000 Americans visited U of T’s prospective students website, which is roughly 12 times the usual number of daily visitors.

U of T Vice-President, International, Ted Sargent told U of T News that the university’s reputation is the reason for the increase in visits. He believes that if the university was in the US, it would rank among the top five public schools in the country.

Executive Director of Enrolment Services Richard Levin, who was also interviewed by U of T News, stated, “Canada is a model for tolerance and inclusivity.”

Althea Blackburn-Evans, U of T’s Director of Media Relations, told The Varsity that it’s too soon to predict if the increased traffic and Trump’s victory will impact US enrolment.

In addition to increased US traffic to U of T’s website, Google also reported a jump in searches about Canadian universities on November 9. Searches regarding the University of British Columbia, for example, went up by 250 per cent.

NEWS_Americans_at_the_U_of_T_Website-CourtesyOf-SCREENSHOT_VIA_GOOGLE_TRENDS-University_of_TorontoNEWS_Americans_at_the_U_of_T_Website-CourtesyOf-SCREENSHOT_VIA_GOOGLE_TRENDS-College_in_Canada

SCREENSHOT VIA GOOGLE TRENDS

SCREENSHOT VIA GOOGLE TRENDS