The wrist shot is one of the most important elements of hockey; it’s always awesome to watch players shoot wrist shots past goalies and into the top corner. Part of what makes it so enjoyable is that not all players are able to effectively shoot wrist shots.

James van Riemsdyk, Phil Kessel, Sidney Crosby, and Tyler Seguin are just a few of many great players who are able to make stadiums full of people go crazy with the power and accuracy of their wrist shots.

The wrist shot is, at times, favoured over other shots because it is relatively easy to control and has a quick release time. It’s more of a finesse shot than the slap shot, which typically shoots the puck faster but with much less accuracy.

The power of the shot originates with the transfer of weight from the back foot to the front foot, while twisting the torso. The power generated is passed down through the stick.

It is important to put enough pressure on the stick so that it flexes while still reserving enough power to propel the stick and the puck forward.

It is ideal to cradle the puck at the base of the stick’s blade when beginning to move the stick forward. The front hand pushes the stick and the puck forward, while the top hand pulls the top of the stick back.

As the stick is pushed forward, the puck should slide towards the end of the blade. When the puck is at the tip of the blade, the wrists must be snapped up fast, flipping the blade of the stick up and lifting the puck off the ice. As the puck breaks connection with the stick, the wrists should roll over and the arms should follow through, aiming the stick in the same direction the puck is travelling.

Now that you know the basics, practice is your best friend. This is a difficult shot to master but it is a game changer when you do.