Redemption was likely on the minds of the Ottawa Redblacks players as they took to Toronto’s BMO Field looking to avenge their loss in last year’s Grey Cup. It was in a dramatic fashion that the Redblacks defeated the heavily favoured Calgary Stampeders in the one hundred and fourth Grey Cup.

It didn’t look promising for the Redblacks who endured a scare before the game: Henry Burris, the team’s quarterback, suffered a knee injury. But luckily, after receiving medical treatment, he was able to return to the field before the game began.

The Redblacks gained control of the game early — leading 10–7 after the first quarter and increasing that lead to 20–7 by the end of the first half. In the third quarter the Stampeders started to come back, cutting the deficit to 10 going into the fourth quarter.

The fourth quarter was one of the most exciting in Grey Cup history. The Stampeders fought their way to within three points of the Redblacks with only 1:38 left to play. Then the Stampeders decided to run an onside kick; with no room for error Rob Maver placed an excellent kick, allowing the Stampeders to recover the ball and take possession. Stampeders quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell took over, delivering quick passes to move Calgary up the field and inside the Redblacks’ 20-yard line. On third down with 10 seconds left in the game, Calgary kicked a 10 yard field goal to tie the game at 33 and force overtime.

Ottawa got first possession in overtime, starting off by running the ball. Burris then connected with Ernest Jackson to advance to Calgary’s 20-yard line. Ottawa went back to their running game one more time before Burris threw to Jackson, who bobbled the ball before securing the reception and running into the end zone.

Calgary had one last chance to keep their championship hopes alive. Mitchell threw deep into the end zone on the first play without success. The next play resulted in another incompletion and was followed by another unsuccessful pass not reaching receiver Bakari Grant. Calgary’s failure to complete their passes secured the Grey Cup for the Redblacks.

The Redblacks’ victory marked the end of a 40-year-old championship drought for the city of Ottawa dating back to when the team were still called the Ottawa Rough Riders. Burris was named the Grey Cup MVP — the second time he has won this accolade in his career.

Questions loom about the future of the 41-year-old quarterback; when asked if he would play next year, Burris commented, “I mean, sometimes athletes can get greedy because the 2017 Grey Cup is in Ottawa. Of course I’ve got to get back and look at that checklist, but the chance to win back to back is a pretty sweet thing but I haven’t even thought about that yet.”

There are questions surrounding the Redblacks heading into next season but for now, they are basking in the glory of delivering a coveted football championship to Ottawa.