The Varsity Blues women’s volleyball team took on the Trent Excalibur in a doubleheader on November 3, following the men’s squad victory.

Going into the second game of the season, the odds were in favour of the Blues, who were coming off of an amazing performance during their home opener against Lakehead University. Trent, who entered the game with two regular season losses, seemed to lack the teamwork and cooperation that the Blues women emanated.

The first set started quite strong for Toronto, as the Blues dominated the court from the first serve onward. Right side hitter Alina Dormann led on the court, scoring three times within the first few minutes of the set. Trent let eight points drop before they finally scored a point against the Blues women. The Blues continued to display their well-practiced hits and cohesive teamwork, and they closed the set with an impressive 25–12 win.

Trent got off to a quick and surprising start to the second set, scoring their first few points off of passes and serves missed by Toronto. Blues setter Angelica Hovanessian accumulated assists and put up consistent and accurate sets.The Blues started to pull ahead midway through the set, pushing the score to 13–9. The set finished with a score of 25–19 for the Blues.

Toronto took a quick lead to open the third set, scoring four points in the first five minutes. First-year middle hitter Jenna Woock got a substantial amount of playing time in the game, putting in a strong performance while hitting quick sets consistently. The score was rising quickly and easily for the Blues, pushing to a 14–4 score near mid-set. The game ended with the final set score of 25–14, again for the Blues.

The 3-0 set victory against Trent places the Blues women in first place in the OUA standings with a 2–0 record. The Blues will travel to Nipissing University on Saturday, November 11 for their third regular season game, hopefully snagging another win.