Following an anti-abortion March For Life rally at Queen’s Park this morning, protesters gathered at Carr Hall at St. Michael’s College (SMC) to attend workshops as pro-choice counterprotesters lined up outside the south entrance, held back by Toronto Police.

Campus Police officers were posted at the entrances as counter-protestors, who have since dispersed, chanted outside.

The anti-abortion workshops were hosted by the University of Toronto Students for Life (UTSFL) club, a Ulife recognized student group.

According to Elizabeth Church, University Spokesperson, Campus Police were on-site as “observers” while Toronto Police were attempting to escort anti-abortion protesters to Carr Hall.

On the use of university space for anti-abortion workshops, Church wrote to The Varsity in an email: “The University of Toronto is committed to free expression and open dialogue, even if that means controversial topics may arise. This includes the right to peaceful protest.”

The UTSFL has an established relationship with SMC, having previously received funding from the St. Michael’s College Students’ Union, as well as hosted similar events there in previous years.

This story is developing, more to come.

Update (May 10, 12:39pm): This story has been updated to include comment U of T.