What scholarships are available for Black students in STEM at the University of Toronto? The Varsity has surveyed awards available for students across many departments and fields, which are listed below.

Media offices across different U of T departments have contributed research to this article.

Tri-campus scholarships:

The Winkelman Admission Scholarship is an admission award for students who “identify as Black (African-Canadian, Caribbean-Canadian or Afro-Caribbean heritage)” and have “demonstrated academic merit.”

The Dr. Anderson Abbott Award is for current domestic students, and “is awarded to a black student in any program of study on the basis of academic achievement, financial need and contribution to the black community.”

The Association of Part-time Undergraduate Students Black Student Bursary of $1,000 is “awarded based on financial need to Black students enrolled in undergraduate programs on a part-time basis,” with preference given to those who mostly study on a part-time basis.

The Black Business and Professional Association Scholarships are available to Black-Canadian students who are under 30. Students “must demonstrate high academic achievement and contribution to the Black community [and] be in financial need.”

Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work:

The Dr. Daniel G. Hill Sr. Scholarship is an award of annual income “to be awarded on the basis of financial need to a student enrolled in the [Master of Social Work] program, with consideration given to recruitment, incentives, support and retention of Black students.”

The Beverly & Emerson Mascoll Graduate Scholarship is an award of annual income “with consideration given to a Black Canadian Resident/Citizen, who is a student in the [Master of Social Work] program, and who demonstrates financial need and good performance.”

Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy:

The Afro-Canadian Scholarship recognizes “a deserving black student (African-Canadian, Caribbean-Canadian, or Afro-Caribbean heritage) entering Year 1 of the undergraduate program at the Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy” who demonstrates financial need and community or volunteer work.

Faculty of Medicine:

The Dr. Robert William Hudson Memorial Award is for students who have “demonstrated interest in endocrinology,” with “preference given to Black or Indigenous students.”

The Dr. John Douglas Graham Salmon Award for Black Medical Students is “awarded to [a] black student in any year of the MD program” who demonstrates financial need.

School of Graduate Studies (SGS):

The SGS Fellowships and Bursaries for Black and/or Indigenous Students are for full-time domestic and international graduate students who identify as Black or Indigenous, and demonstrate “one or both… financial need [or] academic merit.”