New school would “feed” U of T

Toronto may be facing a new crunch of incoming undergratuates, far beyond the present capacity of the city’s universities to accept.

U of T’s president, David Naylor, was recently quoted in The Toronto Star, claiming the GTA will have to deal with a boom of up to 40,000 incoming undergraduates within the next 15 years.

“That’s basically another university unless we find some smart way to handle the crutch,” said Naylor.

His tentative solution is simple and direct.

Make a new university.

Calling his proposed school a “feeder university,” Naylor suggested its students might have the option of graduating from it with a bachelor’s degree, or transferring to one of the older, more established schools to prepare for graduate studies.

Naylor floated the idea to the presidents of Ryerson, York, and the fiveyear- old University of Ontario Institute of Technology, as a way to make room for the increasing number of future first-year students entering university in the GTA.

Other ideas thought up by the GTA’s education leaders include creating a fourth U of T campus, a second Ryerson campus on Jarvis Street, or force more students to to attend university outside Toronto.

The presidents also suggested that a university currently outside the GTA might create a satellite campus in Toronto.

The higher-learning boom is thought to be largely a result of a sharp rise in immigration to the GTA.

A recent University of Alberta study showed that immigrant youths tend to aim higher than native-born youths when it comes to education.

The study found that 79 per cent of visible-minority immigrant youths hope to earn at least one university degree in their future, compared with 57 per cent of Canadian-born, non-visible minority students.

It suggests that the parents of visible- minority immigrant students generally have higher levels of education than their Canadian-born counterparts, and express more optimism for their children’s education. About 88 per cent of visible-minority immigrant parents who participated in the study expressed hope that their children would obtain a university degree, compared to 59 per cent of Canadianborn, non-visible minority parents.

The study also reported that visible- minority immigrant students also tend to get higher grades and have higher levels of school engagement than Canadian-born students.

Other causes of the GTA undergraduate boom include 2003’s double cohort of grade and grade 13 graduates, and the job market’s increasing demand for applicants that have a university degree.

Great Expectations

Going into the season, men’s baseball coach Dan Lang believed his team was primed to take a step forward. After finishing third in the OUA with a 10-8 record in 2006, and with top-ranked Brock (14-4 last season) facing a major roster overhaul, things looked promising – at least on paper.

“I don’t think Brock will be as good as in years past,” said Lang. “Their roster has a lot of young players this season, while our team is largely the same group that made it to the playoffs last year, only with more experience.” Despite losing all three games to the Badgers in 2006 (all close, lowscoring affairs), Lang is confident that his savvy, veteran-laden squad can leap-frog a relatively green’ Badgers roster in the standings.

With the current talent on the Varsity Blues, it’s tough to argue with his logic. Still in the fold are OUA allstars Jake Gallo, Travis Skelton and Mike Dahiroc. Gallo, 2006’s pitcher of the year, leads a staff which was among the best in the Ontario division last year, while outfielder Travis Skelton and second baseman Dahiroc form a uniform order for the Blues.

When asked about any expectations for 2007, team captain Nick Cunjak merely echoed the sentiments of his coach. Cunjak, the most senior member of the team and a masters student at OISE, believes that it’s not a question of if his team will claim top spot, but when: “I told the guys the goal is not for a perfect season. That’s difficult to do and can’t be our expectation. All we can do is work hard because talent alone may make you a good team, but it takes a lot of work to become great. We rank right up there with the best in the OUA and there’s no reason we shouldn’t contend for a title.”

The Blues won’t have to wait long to test their mettle against their rivals as they travel to Community Park this Saturday for a double dip with the Badgers. Brock comes in limping with a 1-2 record to start the season, but after all the build up coming into the meeting, there’s no way Toronto will take this Badgers team lightly, especially if it is only playing possum.

Toronto learned that lesson this past weekend, when they seemed clearly underwhelmed by their opponents from Laurier. The Golden Hawks took advantage of a Blues team that, as team captain Nick Cunjuk said, was just “not as hungry against lesser competition.”

In game one, Laurier took an early lead going up by three runs in the fourth inning against a listless Blues squad. The Hawks out-hit the Blues 8-5, and Toronto simply failed to execute, registering three errors that led directly to runs by the opposing team. Despite this, U of T was still in the game until the very end, tying the game with two runs in the seventh, before Laurier eventually broke through with the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth for a 5-4 win.

Shortstop Damien Eccelton led the way for the Golden Hawks and finished the game 2-4 with two RBIs, while pitcher Brad Binns went the final six innings without giving up an earned run. On the other side of the mound, pitcher Tyler Wilson had a rough outing for the Blues, allowing three runs to score in his four innings, while the vaunted Toronto offence was largely silent with the exception of first baseman Jake Lekas, who chimed in with two RBIs. The Blues would end the Saturday series 0-2 against Laurier, desperate to redeem themselves in Sunday’s tilt with Waterloo.

Anticipating the importance of momentum heading into their matchup with Brock this weekend, Toronto showed that they were more than just a paper tiger, and really took it to the Warriors. The Blues scored early and often on Sunday, and looked more like a team with great expectations in defeating their opponents 7-3. Their record now stands at a respectable 2-2 to begin the season, but it’s hardly the start that coach and players envisioned from such a talented group.

Frosh grand finale!

Walied Khogali is frantically directing traffic. Not a usual part of the job description for the UTMSU president, but marching 1,200 rowdy frosh across Huron street calls for some improvisation.

Motorcycle cops on duty stood by their parked bikes cracking jokes as Khogali ran after an ambulance, its driver unknowingly stopped in a lane about to be invaded by frosh for UTSU’s annual orientation parade.

How was the event shaping up, in a word?

“Amazing!” said Khogali, but Danish Khanani had another word for it.

“This is madness!” shouted the UTM frosh leader at the top of his lungs, doing a passable imitation of that first guy to get killed in The 300.

“Madness?” boomed his legion of frosh in unison. “This is Erindale! ”

Though UTM brought the largest contingent, three campuses worth of frosh, representing the St. George colleges, and Scarborough and Erindale campuses, filled King’s College Circle and back campus field at Friday’s orientation festivities.

With them were the all the usual suspects: student union reps, the Trojan condoms mascot in full gladiatorial regalia, and corporate shills from RBC inauspiciously sporting prison fatigues while signing students up for bank accounts.

In the hours leading up to the parade, students bumped shoulders for UTSU Clubs Day, where representatives from some of U of T’s 400-plus campus clubs rubbed elbows with new students, and anyone else looking for free swag.

Club leaders eager to meet, greet, and sign up new members cheerfully passed out t-shirts, highlighters, Frisbees, and Bibles to all takers.

“You should have a look, there’s a bunch of free stuff,” advised one fourth-year student, jostling away from the premises with an armful of agendas, pens, and a Ziploc bag labeled “evidence” containing a fresh pair of gym socks (courtesy of the RBC jailbirds).

The summer heat and sweltering humidity didn’t seem to bother most, but don’t tell that to the guy in the astronaut suit.

“It’s really hot, but it gets a lot of attention” said Derek Lee, copresident of U of T’s Astronomy and Space Exploration club, smiling gamely from inside his spacesuit.

Was the mission a success? The club collected 500 emails in one day, compared to 400 for all of frosh week last year.

Many a student was drawn by U of T’s Hip Hop Headz, whose outpost by Soldiers’ Tower invited passerby to sample what Albert Le, a secondyear Economics and Philosophy student involved with the Headz, calls “the four elements of hip hop: MCing, breakdancing, DJing and graffiti.”

Also present was the unofficial fifth element of any good club recruitment: free pizza. At first, the Headz only gave slices to students bold enough to “bust a move for pizza,” but eventually they relented.

“Lots of people are pretty shy, I guess,” mused Albert.

“What are you writing?” demanded a fiery frosh entering commerce at UTM, as I jotted something down. I told her I was writing about them for The Varsity and she opened up.

“You should tell them that UTSC and St. George suck!” she offered, adding “I want to see my fucking name in the paper!” though she only identified herself as Niwaz. [Editor’s note: of course, you can’t hide from The Varsity. We got her full name, address, and baby pictures, just to prove we could. They’re in the office, in a filing cabinet labelled ‘Just in Case’.]

The parade, once it got underway, drew onlookers all along its route along Bloor and down Yonge street.

Going negative

Frosh parade, while nominally an event that brings all U of T’s campuses and colleges together, is mainly a chance for each group to show off how much better they are then the rest.

In wildness and sheer numbers, UTM’s militia of rowdy frosh ruled the day from their position at the head of the parade. Just because their dominance was secure, though, didn’t mean they were above taunting everyone else.

“What do we think of St. George? Fuck St. George!”

“What do we think of Scarborough? Fuck Scarborough!”,and countless obscenities heaped upon engineering students were among their arsenal, chanted with rehearsed precision—and helpful gestures—by the Erindale mob.

My own college, UC, disappointed with their attempts (“You can’t spell ‘seduction’ without UC?”) but when a trio of Ryerson malcontents somehow infiltrated the parade and started chanting “sucks to be! U of T!” the normally tame UC crowd rallied and the rogues were quickly dispatched.

Though they had only a third of UTM’s numbers, scrappy underdog Woodsworth, whose past frosh activities included a siege on New College, held their own, with a catcall to cook up everyone.

“Your priest touches you!” they chided St. Mike’s.

“You can’t spell ‘douche’ without UC!” they called, turning UC’s own godawful chant against them.

Perhaps sensing they were outnumbered, the pharmacy students stayed safely neutral with their “mix it up” chants. And in the music section, as UC and UTSC got into a shouting match in front of Hart House, the marching band played on.

Royal Flush

The scene after the game was excruciating. As I arrived on the scene and saw a group of players brandishing ice packs, covered in tensor bandages, it looked more like a battlefi eld than a rugby pitch. I soon realized that rugby is not a game for the faint of heart.For one day at least, the Blues were more like the black and blues. In a game against Royal Military College the result almost seemed apropos. Coming off a 2-6 season the Blues were hoping to start 2007 off strong, but with a tough game coming up this weekend against Queens, Toronto will have to lick their wounds in a hurry following a 33-14 loss to RMC this past weekend.

Luckily for them, Queens will offer a different experience than what the Blues endured this weekend against the Paladins. As Blues head coach Edward Sun says:

“The Golden Gaels have a quality side in terms of just pure talent. They can pretty much do whatever they want on the field with their skilled players, and they play a wide game. They always try to avoid the crash and bang style because it would waste the s they have on their roster.”

Avoiding the crash and bang style will be a key for the Blues who play a pretty wide game themselves. “We always try to play a wider game,” says Sun, “because we have quality backs who’ve got pace to burn. The bottom line is passing the ball more than fi ve meters out, so we always go wide and try to go with the fl ow of the game in terms of the direction of the ball.”

Against RMC, however, that plan was derailed by a number of penalties in the fi rst half , with“general lapses in concentration” as assistant coach Garth Gottfried put it. It wasn’t until the second half that the team fi nally started to fi gure things out, scoring two tries in a span of ten minutes. Outside centre Zack Besner scored one, bringing a great deal of intensity to the entire game. The rest of the scoring came from Onome “Iggy” Igharoro and a two-point conversion from wing Alex Koppel.

In past seasons, Toronto has had diffi culty keeping their opponents off the board with some notable games being a 107-13 loss to Brock as well as a 46-0 whitewash against a Queen’s team that comes in later this week. Nonetheless, team Captain Peter Braun sees hope for the future.

“We started our lines out a bit better in this game. Last year we were just an absolute disaster with that. We’ve also got a backline this year that can pretty much run through or around any team we face. We’re really looking to ship it out wide and let those guys do their magic.”

Magic or not, the Blues could use a change of luck, losing by an average of 30 points per contest in 2006. Given that, you have to consider Saturday’s score a marked improvement. With what coach Sun describes as a very youthful squad, minor gains can be considered baby steps. And with a full rugby season averaging eight games long, every opportunity is crucial, whether for immediate gains or player development.

Access Denied

Visa… Depending on your background, this word has the potential to conjure two completely different images. For those born and raised in Canada, the word probably evokes thoughts of frivolous purchases at the mall, and overdue payment notices. But for those of us who hold foreign passports, the word usually brings to mind images of countless forms needed to be filled out (“Only blue or black ink please!”), hour-long lines at embassies, and sacred documents attached to our passports.

It surprises me how many Canadians are unaware of the hassles most foreign students must endure just to cross borders. For most Canadians, traveling can be as spontaneous as buying a ticket at the airport and getting to any number of destinations that same day. For us internationals, however, vacations must be planned months in advance. We have to make sure we’ve filled out the proper forms, paid the obligatory fees, and gone through the necessary background checks that treat us as though we were common criminals.

Case in point: This summer I attempted a trip to the United Kingdom only to find out a week before my departure that I had been refused a visitor’s visa. Now if you’ve ever met me, you might wonder why; I’m a hard-working university student who’s well-traveled and I speak English without the slightest hint of an accent. On paper, however, I’m of Sudanese descent, born in Saudi Arabia and have never lived in a country for more than four years. In the eyes of a visa officer it doesn’t get more suspicious than that.

The entire experience was extremely depressing. Sure, I’ve been rejected before, but never in my life had I been snubbed by an entire kingdom. In the rejection letter itself, the officer barely stopped short of accusing me of wanting to become a refugee in his beloved England and mooching off of his government—something I took great offense to, considering all I was asking for was a week to visit my aunt, a British citizen.

For the record, I plan on reapplying in the future. There is absolutely no reason why I shouldn’t be allowed to visit my relatives because I happen to be from a certain part of the world. It’s about personal pride: I refuse to quit until I’m allowed into that officer’s country—dodgy-looking, neongreen Sudanese passport and all.

I suppose the visa process is absolutely necessary—especially considering the state of the world and the threat of terrorism. But too many people take their nationalities for granted and don’t realize what it means to not hold a Canadian, American, or EU passport in the 21st century. Few know what it feels like to be looked up and down by an airport official after he’s seen the color of your passport, as though you’ve just done something horribly wrong—even though the worst thing you’ve probably done in the last few hours was stick a piece of gum under the arm of your airplane seat.

So if you’re lucky enough to be from a place that doesn’t require an arduous once over whenever you wish to travel, perhaps now you will appreciate it more.

Front and (Varsity) Centre

Many were sad to say goodbye to the old Varsity Stadium, with its grand legacy of Grey Cup glory, but the new facility has so much more to offer U of T students. Unlike the walled-in former stadium, which had a peak seating capacity of 27,000, the Varsity Centre’s 5000- seat grandstand leaves a wideopen west side view for passersby.

That visual accessibility reflects a new philosophy, too. It’s not just about elite athletes anymore—it’s place where all U of T students can find something to do. Whether it’s running on the state-of-the-art eight-lane track, enjoying a Varsity Blues game, playing intramural soccer under the dome in winter or just flipping open a laptop in the stands (which will be wireless in a few weeks)between classes, Varsity Centre’s definitely the biggest outdoor “student centre” on campus.

Grad student Blago Blagoev, Head Residence Advisor at Graduate House and intramural soccer player throughout his academic career at U of T, was blown away when the dome went up for the first time last January. “It’s been fantastic to play in the soccer league at the Varsity Field both in the winter indoor season and over the summer. The quality of the surface and everything else, from the lights to the washrooms, has been excellent. For these reasons, the field has been a big draw both for our long-term and short-term residents at Grad House. It has made us feel like we may be better players than we actually are. Thanks to the Varsity facility, we have managed to enjoy an active lifestyle, and I’m sure we’ll keep many great memories from our time at U of T.”

Waiting lists have been a big issue in intramural sports, which are enjoyed by over 9,000 students. Dozens of teams sit idly by each year, hoping for field time that often never materializes because U of T’s fields are packed to the limit. The dome promises to reduce that list dramatically, particularly for the soccer teams that represent 30 per cent of the current waiting list.

Another interesting wintertime feature is the golf driving range under the dome, which is free for students. But if golf and soccer aren’t your thing, you can still get away from the books at the nearby renovated arena, also part of Varsity Centre, which offers recreational skating and pick-up hockey.

This season, Varsity Centre is also filling our Varsity Blues teams with confidence and pride at their new home base. The stands were already put to the test during the first home Varsity Football game on Sept. 3, when students in the 3000-plus crowd got a taste of school spirit. “It was great to see so many students show up to support our football team,” said third year student Kristi Nattress. Physical education student Sarah Boyle agreed: “I had a great time catching up with friends in the stands and cheering on the football team.” The football team has high hopes this season and the filled stands should boost their confidence. After seven years of planning for this historic site to get its facelift, 2007- 08 should provide an interesting glimpse at sports and recreation for all students at U of T.

Where are your manners?

Of all the gifts the Internet has given us, the most personal is certainly the ability to create virtual versions of ourselves, versions as similar or as different from our physical beings as we like. Though most of the time we choose to “be ourselves” online, who among us hasn’t at one point posed as someone we aren’t in order to take part in a stimulating chitchat?

Along with these new versions of real human beings, a set of social rules has emerged to govern the interaction between our virtual selves–rules known as internetiquette.

With every upgraded version of instant messaging programs and social networking websites, internetiquette changes. On the latest versions of MSN Messenger for example, the “Appear Offline” option allows us to lurk in the digital shadows, waiting to see if there’s anyone worth talking to without ourselves being seen. But the mother of all Internet communication features is one that exists on practically all networking programs: the “block” option.

I never used to think much about blocking. Sure, I used it here or there to keep unknown messengers like “Romio99” and “2sexie4u” off of my user list, but what harm did that do, since I’d never met those people in my real life? It’s just proper internetiquette. But when I found out via a social networking program that I was no longer able to access the page of someone who I thought up to that moment was a friend, it slowly dawned on me what had happened. By the click of a button, someone had virtually and literally terminated a three-year friendship. And the best part: neither I—nor the online version of myself—was given any sort of explanation.

While the Internet allows us to connect with friends and family who are a dangerously expensive long-distance phone call away, it has lessened our ability to face each other in person. We hide behind our Appear Offlines and our Away messages in order to escape from any form of confrontation. While we make what we think are bold moves, like blocking people from our friends lists, we would hesitate to make the same decision in the real world.

We’ve allowed our online selves to take the place of our real selves, our keyboards present in lieu of actual voices. We must be aware of how much of ourselves we are willing to give up to the Internet, and how much we set aside for real-life communication. Who among us hasn’t met someone who takes internetiquette beyond the computer and actually says things like “LOL” and “BRB” out loud?

As for the ex-friend, it’s been three months and no confrontation has taken place in either the second or third dimension. And although the inevitable drama of it all has subsided (“Should I counter- block? What do we do about all the shared friends? Do they block too?”), I hope that if ever faced with a similar situation, I will have the etiquette to “block” a friend in person rather than let my mouse do it for me.

Harper’s proposal no relief for mentally ill

Having lived with bipolar disorder for seven years, I was intrigued by Prime Minister Harper’s announcement of plans to deal with the country’s mental health system. However, his freshly-appointed Mental Health Commission of Canada, and plenty of good intentions, are looking to fall short of what the millions of people dealing with mental illness in this country really need.

Stephen Harper says this new commission will help to erase the stigmas attached to mental illness. Make no mistake, the stigmas are terrible. Mental illness is often associated with objects of fear: homelessness, hospitalization and instability. And while it is true that education of mental illness will increase the chances of someone seeking out treatment, the last thing we need is another committee. We already have The Mental Health Promotion Unit (MHPU), which was created in 1995.

The MHPU was designed to be the central point of Health Canada’s efforts to raise awareness of mental illness. Stephen Harper could have easily put money into this unit, but in a politically-motivated attempt to distinguish himself from the Liberals of the 1990s, Harper has wasted millions establishing a new agency that does the exact same thing.

With this committee, Stephen Harper has also expressed an intention to standardize the level of care that people with mental illness receive. This is impossible. Mental health treatment varies widely in its nature and application; it ranges from simple counseling and cognitive behavior therapy, to long term hospitalization and heavy medication. Mental illness is incredibly varied in how it is presented and how it is treated.

Health care itself varies from province to province, and the availability of certain services varies from region to region. Someone with schizophrenia in a small fishing village in the Maritimes is less likely to receive the specialized care available in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal. This is the case with cancer, heart disease, and pretty much every major health problem this country is facing. Specialists are hard to come by, as many doctors leave Canada for the United States. This committee does not provide Canada with more specialists, nor does it provide a way to place these specialists all over the country. As such, it does not address the fundamental reason why people with mental illness do not receive a standard level of care.

Prime Minister Harper’s intentions are good, and any light thrown onto mental illness is progress, but committees and commissions simply make recommendations. In this case, the recommendations were already made last year by a Senate committee. With a unit already in place to deal with the stigmas attached to mental illness, Stephen Harper is simply trying to make himself look good by creating this new agency. In using mental illness as a political tool, Harper mocks what we with mental illness go through, wasting a great deal of taxpayer’s money along the way.