Safety with a side of bacon

Going to class with a stomach full of pancake batter is not advisable, but what’s one to do when Campus Police are encouraging it?

“I don’t care what it’s for,” said a man who would only identify himself as John, “I just want some fluffy, sweet pancakes, man.”

John joined hundreds of flapjack lovers in front of Sid Smith on Tuesday morning, as Campus Community Police kicked off Safety Awareness Week.

“It’s really about trying to educate and let people know we’re here as a support on campus,” said special constable Robert Michener.

Events this week aim to raise awareness about violent crime, studying late, theft and fire on campus.

“We want to let new students know about programs like Walk Smarter,” said special constable Noel Hall. The program encourages those walking alone at night to call for volunteers to walk with them.

It’s a program first-year grad student Zhijan Wang, who was just learning that we have our own police service, found reassuring.

“I feel safe on campus, but for walking late at night, especially girls, this is a great idea,” she said, unconcerned about the safety of her pancakes. They were, though highly caloric, safe by all accounts.

On Wednesday, some of those looking to stay in shape by riding their bikes around St. George were subject to a safety blitz.

Donations were collected for the United Way at the breakfast, as they will be at Friday’s main campus barbeque from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Freedom can still triumph in Burma

The recent protests in Burma vividly demonstrate that even in the darkest, most repressive of circumstances, the human spirit is resilient.

On Monday, Sept. 24, tens of thousands of Buddhist monks and other protesters marched through the streets of Rangoon against the ruling military junta, the self-styled State Law and Order Restoration Council, demanding democracy. The protest was the first mass movement in Burma since 1988, when a student uprising, though non-violent, provoked a brutal armed response from the junta and resulted in the deaths of thousands. The recent protests in Burma have inspired dozens of rallies across the world, from Canada to Italy to New Zealand, all aimed at bringing an end to this brutal military regime.

The monks marched together, bonded by common beliefs: their ammunition was not guns, but prayer. The protest, fueled by desperation, was so necessary to the people of Burma that they were willing to lay their lives on the line—and many of them were indeed killed.

It is not difficult to understand why so many Burmese are willing to sacrifice so much for the cause of liberty. Years of colonization under British-Indian rule were hard on Burma. Citizens fought for independence and eventually won it in 1948. But freedom was short-lived. The junta seized power in 1962, renamed the country Myanmar, and has ruled harshly ever since.

Although the National League for Democracy was elected to power by a majority of the population in 1990, the junta refused to step down. Instead it tightened its control over public institutions, took members of the opposition party as political prisoners—including its leader Aung San Suu Kyi—and stifled dissent. Now after years of repression, the junta has reaffirmed its willingness to use deadly violence to silence its people.

A recent article in the New York Times reports that in the days following the initial protest, attendance at temples declined until some were eventually empty. Burma’s rulers have admitted to the death of some protesters but have yet to accept responsibility, owning up to only 10 deaths and inexplicably blaming the disruption in the country on a “neo-liberal conspiracy.” Foreign correspondents and Burmese citizens themselves suggest that the death tolls are much higher and the situation much bleaker than the junta will admit. Many monks remain missing, and the worst is feared.

Coverage of these horrible events was widespread as they unfolded, but where will the Burmese go from here? How ought the international community respond? And are the economic sanctions that the United States proposes to impose on Burma going to have their desired effect?

The junta now claims to have “normalized” the country again. Will protesters’ voices be stifled? Trivialized?

The international community must ensure that they are not. We can do this by continuing to pay attention to the situation in Burma even as the initial excitement of the protest wears off. Cases such as the ongoing atrocities in Sudan have proven that Western countries quickly descend into apathy when progress is not quickly made against oppression.

The international community should also engage directly with Burma and come to the aid of the pro-democracy movement there, or work with NGOs to strengthen the hearts and bodies of Burmese civilians so that they can continue to fight for their own liberation.

Pressure can also be put on China to reign in the Myanmar junta, which depends greatly on political and logistical support from the Asian superpower.

The U.S.-led sanctions currently in place against Burma are likely not enough to bring down this regime, and moreover they run the risk of harming civilians. Past U.S.- led sanctions, such as the ones imposed upon Iraq, have had devastating consequences. As Noam Chomsky argues in his book Failed States, sanctions have had little positive effects in recent decades and have instead “devastated civilian society, strengthened the tyrant, and compelled the population to rely on him for survival.” The international community should think carefully about restricting aid to Burma, even if its intentions are in the interest of civilians.

High-flying Loonie a dangerous bird

It’s time to book your Daytona Beach vacation packages. The Canadian Loonie reached parity with the U.S. dollar two weeks ago for the first time since 1976, so now is your chance to travel on the cheap. And while you’re there, you might want to invest in some real estate. Hell, buy up the whole country for all I care.

Do I sound bitter? Perhaps I should explain.

I hail from south of the border and pay my international tuition with the good ol’ American greenback. When I started studying at U of T three years ago, my quality education was a bargain. Now, it’s safe to assume that my two younger brothers will not be following me to the proverbial greener pastures of the North to pursue their own higher education.

And guess what, my Canadian friends—the new dollar sucks for you guys, too.

Canadian industries like lumber, which rely on the exportation of goods to U.S. customers, are losing money to the weak Yankee coin. I’m guessing that people who live in already-struggling northern lumber towns, which are built around their local mills, are not too excited about this whole parity thing. It’s no secret that when mills shut down, ghost towns multiply.

An estimated 250,000 manufacturing jobs in Ontario and Quebec have been cut over the past five years, a loss the Canadian Labour Congress attributes to the decline of the U.S. dollar. This may or may not seem like a terrible thing now, but losing base manufacturing sectors will be catastrophic in the long run.

Even though Canucks seem to love hating on their southern neighbours, the fact remains that my flag-toting brethren were once loyal tourists whose dollars were happily spent bolstering the Canadian economy on jaunts through Toronto, Montreal and beyond. Canadian tourism is already a flagging industry; the loss of potential bargainseeking American tourists is going to hurt.

Then there are the seafood processors of P.E.I. who are unable to raise their prices within the competitive fish industry in order to compensate for falling exchange rates. Not to mention the small Canadian businesses that will collapse from the competition of U.S. border-town bargains. And, of course, there are the television and movie producers who will start bringing their big bucks somewhere other than the once-cheap “Hollywood North.”

Finally, there are those potential U of T students, like my little brothers, who won’t have the option of choosing this fabled institution over the state schools they can actually afford. I wonder how the university will compensate for all those lost international tuition fees? Surely not by raising your tuition.

On the bright side, there’s never been a better time to hit up those outlet malls in western New York. Nautica, anyone?

Persian delight

Welcome back everyone! We are pleased to return to The Varsity as your campus cuisine critics. Our goal is to explore restaurants convenient to the U of T campus, from the unknown to the oft-frequented, and find the best taste and best value without sacrificing quality. We have decided to start off the school year right, with healthy eating in mind, in reviewing a cozy Persian-inspired eatery located one block south of Bloor and east of Yonge Street.

Providing respite from the traffic and culinary congestion of Yonge Street, Camros is a unique cafeteria-style vegan spot featuring homemade organic dishes free of sugar, soy, wheat, and gluten. No hidden harmful ingredients here! What’s more, the Persian influence provides fabulous herb and spice medleys that preserve delicious flavours.

Equally impressive are the modest prices that won’t force you to defaut on your student loans. Offering combos of 2 to 4 items, with the most expensive dish at only $8.99, Camros has restored our faith in eating healthy on a student budget.

The changing menu features select dishes for each day of the week. We were fortunate to show up on “Mixed Vegetable Stew” day, sampling a wonderfully rich taste of apple and cinnamon that, simply put, tastes like fall. Each day also presents a different-coloured rice ball–ours, filled with lentils, was red. We disagreed over the flavour of the basmati —is it subtle or bland?— but concurred that the texture was absolutely satisfying, as only a dense combination of grain can be!

The kale salad also engendered mixed opinion. Kale is a bitter green that is certainly an acquired taste. Again, however, it was well-done, with the homemade dressing adding a lovely compliment if you are a tahinilover (who isn’t!). Quinoa, a nutritious grain that is gradually becoming more popular, is used here in an enticing and refreshing salad and provided a nice contrast to the stew.

For dessert: melt-in-your-mouth homemade cookies. The only difference between these and your mom’s is that they don’t rise. We recommend you stick with the ginger-spice and lemon-poppy—avoid the unsatisfying chocolate, which lacks the richness that most of us love.

The verdict: you get a taste of food that’s healthy—and exotic. The rotating menu and high turnover ensures consistent freshness. Our only complaints were the slightly cramped space and uncomfortably low window seats—minor details , as the atmosphere, friendly service, and good wholesome food more than made up for it. If you’re interested in trying Persian cuisine, this is a wonderful place to start, and you can rest assured that your body is getting exactly what it needs. Camros is definitely an option that deserves more attention from the U of T population.

Pere Ubu goes avant-garage

The vast majority of you 17 to 24- year-old university students have likely never heard of Pere Ubu, the avant-garde/proto-punk rock band who shook Lee’s Palace Tuesday night. But it’s not your fault.

Somehow, this highly influential band has managed to stay under the radar of the masses since its inception way back in 1975—save for some nostalgic name-dropping by its devoted fan base of mostly male “50-year-old ex-punks,” to quote lead singer David Thomas.

True to form, there were more than a few men in the crowd who looked like they had shown up straight from their Bay Street jobs, excited to have a night away from the kids. These particular showgoers, sweating out the sharply-pressed creases of their slacks, were fun to watch as the night progressed.

The band gave a performance that nobody of our musical generation could dream of matching. Thomas, the only remaining member of the band’s original lineup, has settled gracefully—or, maybe more appropriately, obnoxiously—into the grumpy on-stage persona he’s been honing for the past 32 years. Bald, tall, and incredibly large, he’s what an older Orson Welles would look like if he’d spent a lifetime reading Bukowski and being sarcastic.

Either the flask he was constantly swilling from was empty, or it just takes a whole lot to get a 400-pound man wasted, because Thomas delivered his dose of surly theatricality with a sharpness that would put any fine stage actor in their place. His once-tinny vocals have thickened over the years and his manner has grown gruffer, but the man has got an onstage presence to be envied.

Presentation aside, the musicianship was clean and each song immaculately delivered. The rhythm section, composed of bassist Michele Temple and drummer Steve Mehlman, maintained unwavering structure against guitarist Keith Moliné’s howls and synthesist Robert Wheeler’s theremin-noise parade. Pere Ubu isn’t a bunch of girlie-pants-wearing hipsters playing New Order knockoffs; they are the real thing.

Additional kudos go to fantastic openers, Arrows, a Guelph-based husband-and-wife duo whose delightful set echoed the golden age of indie rock.

Campus polling stations aim to make amends

By any account, the 2006 federal election was a fiasco for St. George residence students. Polling stations were planned, then cancelled, then reinstated at the last minute. Elections Canada never clarified what on-campus students, who may not have a bank statement, utility bill or lease to prove their address, could use to vote. Students were turned away from advance polls because they did not have documents that no one had told them they would need.

Not this time around, according to Dave Scrivener, VP External at UTSU.

“After the last federal election, Elections Ontario had no desire to go down the same path as Elections Canada, and they were relatively easy to work with,” he said. Instead, Elections Ontario has been cooperating with UTSU and its parent, the Canadian Federation of Students.

“UTSU worked as a conduit between the administrations of the various colleges and Elections Ontario. We worked to expand the list of acceptable voting identification to make it easier to for students to register,” said Scrivener. “We were able to expand the list to include letters from the dean as proof of residence and the T-Card as acceptable photo ID”

Some colleges have already distributed letters that students can use to get on the voting list on or ahead of election day. If you live in residence and have not received a letter, drop by your residence or dean of student’s office get one.

UTSU also recommended polling locations on campus and helped to secure an additional poll on the east side of campus.

“Overall we tried to make the voting process as simple as possible, especially for residence students who find themselves in residential limbo,” said Scrivener. Fingers crossed.

Fair Fort York

Site-specific theatre is a unique opportunity, particularly when it features as distinctive a locale as Toronto’s historical garrison, Old Fort York. Crate Productions, whose two previous site-specific plays include Stephen Belber’s Tape—a snappy psychodrama that maximized the claustrophobic, semi-rundown Gladstone Hotel to great effect—and Adam Rapp’s disturbing Blackbird, staged in an abandoned Yonge St. apartment.

Their latest offering, The Fort at York plays with the same premise of location integration, but while it seems fascinating in concept, the production itself flounders on occasion due to a lack of objective and economy. Written by Dora awardwinning playwright Tara Beagan, Fort is a grandly ambitious project that fails to fully resonate because of its sprawling subject matter. Clocking in at nearly three hours, the production is far too long and meandering in its pace.

At the outset, the audience was divided into four groups and escorted around the fort by uniformed conductors. Obviously, a show of this magnitude requires extreme planning and timeliness (which the company carried off commendably), but there was a definite sensation of “school field trip,” which may or may not have been the intention. As we moved from site to site, guide and co-director Chris Reynolds offered historical details surrounding the 1813 attack by American soldiers on Fort York, even illuminating us on the nature of the smell (friendly neighbourhood abattoir) that occurred partway through one of the earlier scenes beside a campfire. It was certainly fun travelling like this, but it caused the pacing to so pointedly drop that it diminished the actual drama of the story—where The Fort at York needed the most clarification.

Comprised of a series of diversely located vignettes, scenes, and monologues, the story revolves around a risky plan to remove an officer’s wife from the garrison prior to the morning battle. Seen from the eyes of several different men (and one woman), we’re able to exist as ghosts within this past world—ghosts that Beagan incorporates in a slightly convoluted way. In several instances, a troubled soldier speaks directly to the audience as a means of connecting the past to the future. Few of the scenes really crackled with urgency, and I couldn’t help but wonder why so many of the characters seemed to be suffering from delusional breakdowns. Nevertheless, Beagan’s text was lyrical and the characters appealing, but it needed editing to really give the characters and storyline more vitality. Highlights included some fine performances from Cole J. Alvis as an earnest young private, Scott Clarkson as a passionate soldier whose love for an officer’s wife inspires him to bravery, and Jeff Legacy as the sole Native resident William Sawyer, whose resolve and daring help carry out the rescue plan. Co-directors Chris Reynolds and Tara Beagan must also be mentioned for their inventive staging and composition within the challenging conditions—the scenes never failed to look fabulous.

The best thing about The Fort at York was the solidarity of the company, and the obvious work, attention, and innovation that went into producing it. The sheer spectacle was also appreciable, with most of the scenes lit either by firelight, flickering lanterns, or the distant ambience of the Toronto skyline. What it lacked in tightness, it made up for in tenderness, and allowed much room for reflection—even if the temptation was to indulge in contemplation during the slower moments of the show itself.

Vic cuts off sticky fingers

Over the past month, students at Victoria College on the northeast part of campus have been subject to numerous break-ins and thefts. The thefts have occurred at Rowell Jackman Hall, a Vic residence with suites that consist of a common living room and kitchen area, and one or two-person bedrooms.

The thief, who is still loose, seemed to operate in the same way each time, gaining access to the common area of the suites by knocking on the door and claiming to be a friend of one of the suite members. He knew who lived in each suite because students’ names are taped onto each door at the beginning of the year and many students do not remove the tags. Once admitted by the unsuspecting suitemate, the thief waited around until left alone and broke into the individual rooms by using a credit card to pop open the lock.

After two students had their laptops stolen, the matter was brought before the dean’s office, who has announced upgrades to the safety of the building. Members of the physical plant services will be checking the suite doors to make sure that the extra safety latch is in working condition. In addition, stricker plates of each door, which attach to the door frame, will be replaced. In the meantime, students are advised to not leave anyone who is not personally known to them alone in their suite.