The Varsity presents

On Saturday, November 3, The Varsity is hosting it’s first Off The Record party at the Boat (158 Agusta Ave.). Cover is $5, or free with a T-Card, with all proceeds going to Journalists For Human Rights.

Performing at Off The Record will be five of the best musical artists Toronto has to offer: oneman guitar scientist Now Yr Taken, shimmering heartbreakers The Coast, nocturnal rockers Uncut, indie-garage cheerleaders Germans, plus dance-floor filler Shit La Merde will be DJing before, after and in between the bands. Here’s a bit more about the talent The Varsity has in store:

Corporations court LGBT students

This weekend’s Out on Bay Street conference will formally introduce LGBT business students to companies that have made them a priority.

The conference, organized by MBA students from U of T’s Rotman School of Management and York University’s Schulich School of Business, exists to connect LGBT students with businesses specifically seeking them out.

Andreas Kouremenos, co-chair of the event’s host, the Rotman Gay- Straight Alliance, said the workplace is frequently unsupportive of LGBT sexualities. “I worked in the financial sector this summer, and I didn’t feel a need to be out to the people I was working with. I definitely felt like it was very much an old boys’ club,” he said.

But while heterocentrism persists in business settings, some enterprising employees are capitalizing on their status as minorities.

“The buzzword really is diversity right now with businesses and industry in general […] companies are really smartening up and seeing that having a diverse workforce really adds to a company,” said Kouremenos.

What some might call tokenism translates to leverage.

“[Sexual diversity in hiring] is a fairly recent initiative for companies, and they’re starting to tackle it headon. And that’s why we’ve seen the support we have for the conference,” said Kouremenos. He reported that almost 50 students and 70 business insiders had signed on.

The conference’s itinerary unites the practical and the political. A career fair attended by 12 to 14 corporations will take place on Friday, followed on Saturday by speakers and workshops addressing issues of interest to jobseeking business students.

Student registrants cite a wide range of reasons to attend.

“I hope to see what companies out there support LGBT and provide a supportive environment for us,” said one Master of Mathematical Finance student who didn’t want to be outed. “I hope to build a network with people and companies that I want to work with, to increase my chance [of landing] a full-time job after I graduate.”

Kouremenos conceived OBS after attending the Reaching Out LGBT MBA Conference in Fall of 2006, a similar event held by Harvard Business School and the Yale School of Management in 1999. “They had an attendance of about 750 people down there, so I thought to myself, we might have the critical mass here in Canada,” he explained.

What careers should OBS attendees look for?

“I think finance is one of the most tolerant and LGBT-supportive industries,” said the MMF student. “Events like this one promote positive working environments […] and increase awareness of the fact that LGBT professionals indeed value a working environment in which we feel comfortable.”

The organizers, who have announced they hope to make OBS an annual event, have emphasized the importance of discourse between the communities involved. “I’m hoping that students ask the companies what they’re doing in the LGBT community, and I’m hoping that companies ask the students what they’re doing within their community at school.”

Bomb threats, thefts, and assaults on campus

While most of October passed by relatively quietly on at U of T (with two reported assaults and breakand- enters), the end of the month saw a bit more excitement.

A bomb scare last Monday, which turned out to be a prank, affecting residents of 89 Chestnut who were not evacuated, but told to use an alternative exit. On Halloween, the next day, Toronto and Campus Police responded to a report of a second bomb threat at Falconer Hall, which also turned out to be a false alarm.

On Sunday, Oct. 28, Hart House was the scene of a man breaking windows with a baseball bat and a couple engaging in “sexual activity” outside the building.

Elsewhere on campus, students had trouble holding onto their bicycles, as 14 bikes were reported stolen this month, despite the efforts of the Bait Bike program, which rigs a decoy bike with a GPS system to capture would-be thieves.

A total of 95 alarms were triggered on campus, in addition to 47 incidents of trespassing.

An attempted theft of a television and DVD player from Woodsworth has police looking for two males in their 20s. At the Nursing building, a male, also in his 20s, with a shaved head, a scarf bearing the Jamaican flag, and a grey Che Guevara camouflage jacket, is suspected of trying to steal a computer. In total, 26 thefts were reported to police.

The first of the two assaults this month took place on Oct. 2 around Queen’s Park crescent, involving someone grabbing a person who was walking to St. Michaels College. The suspect is described by police as a white male, 5’8”, with a medium build, sporting gelledback hair and a black jacket. The second assault occurred last week on Oct. 25, near the residence at 89 Chestnut Ave., though no description was provided by police.

During the month U of T’s Campus Community Police also helped an elderly person who was lost and disoriented, investigated a vehicle that was driving erratically on King’s College Circle, and responded to two particular complaints at the Medical Science building—musicians playing in the cafeteria and an “unattended package” left outside.

Anti-war cry shrinking to a whimper

An international day of action against the American-led “war on terror” took place Saturday, Oct. 27. If you were unaware of this, rest assured you’re not the only one. In Toronto, a measly 1,500 people marched on the U.S. consulate.

Though the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are the least popular they have ever been, turnout at anti-war protests is dwindling and the peace movement is utterly failing to grab the attention of the North American public. The largest protests against the Iraq war occurred before the invasion, at a time when opposition to the war was only at 23 per cent. Every year since then, the crowds at demonstrations in both Canada and the U.S. have gotten smaller, despite growing opposition to the wars. What could possibly explain this startling inverse relationship?

Most analysts blame it on fatigue. As the war on terror stretches into its seventh year, so the story goes, those who oppose North American military action in the Middle East get tired of protesting. They burn out. But this analysis ignores what’s really at the core of “protest fatigue”— namely, that it has become painfully apparent to demonstrators that no one is listening.

The Canadian and American governments are completely out of step with the public about the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. The conflicts are tremendously unpopular in both countries, yet their respective governments seem not to care.

In direct opposition to public opinion, Stephen Harper used his throne speech last week to announce his intention to extend the Afghan mission until at least 2011, two years beyond our current commitment to NATO. George W. Bush seems similarly deaf to calls to pull U.S. troops out of Iraq. As support for the war continued to spiral downward earlier this year, Bush sent more soldiers overseas. With leaders in Ottawa and the White House blatantly ignoring the majority of their citizens on this vital issue, it’s no wonder protestors feel fatigued.

But the government’s deaf ear doesn’t fully explain the toothless nature of the peace movement. If people feel strongly enough about an issue, they will voice their opinion loudly, whether or not they are heeded.

What Americans and Canadians primarily object to is the loss of their own country’s soldiers. Most people now agree that it’s grossly unfair to ask our young men and women to die in a war for which the cause is vague, and victory ill-defined and uncertain.

This same concern for the youth of the nation was partly what galvanized anti-war protestors of the Vietnam era into unprecedented mass protests, especially when the draft was imposed. But the millions who shouted “Hey hey LBJ! How many kids did you kill today?” at President Lyndon Johnson were also deeply concerned about the innocent youth of the country they were at war with. This is not a widespread concern in America or Canada today. North Americans primarily see our soldiers, not foreign civilians, as the victims of these conflicts. This is reflected on the evening news, where tallies of Canadian and American dead are meticulously kept track of nightly, while the total number of Iraqis or Afghans killed since the invasions is almost never mentioned. This is a stunning omission, considering over 100,000 Iraqis have been killed since 2003. Within the first few months of the Afghan war, over 3,000 civilians were killed.

In the wake of 9/11, North Americans apparently have difficulty identifying with the plight of Muslims in the Middle East. Relatively few people have relatives or friends dying in Iraq and Afghanistan. As long as soldiers are depicted as the main casualties of war, the majority will object to the conflicts, but few will feel passionate enough to take to the streets. Until the peace movement convinces Canadians and Americans to stop the conflicts for the sake of those that it affects most, the protests will dwindle, and our leaders will continue beating the drums of war.

No average Joe

Joe Torre has declined a one-year contract extension with the New York Yankees, declaring the offer an insult. Yankees brass proposed $5 million with an additional $3 million in incentives, which amounts to a substantial pay cut from previous years.

Undeniably, Torre has had a remarkable run with the Bronx Bombers, including four World Series titles and 12 straight years of post-season play. But even considering the team’s success during his tenure, Torre’s inability to progress to further rounds in recent playoffs effectively foreshadowed the end of his management days. In a city like New York, advancement is imperative and Torre has failed to move forward with each consecutive year.

In view of the team’s failure to make significant strides in the post-season, Yankees management made quite a generous offer. Torre would have been the highest paid manager in the game and would only be committed to the team for an extra year. He may have been better served by taking a step back to assess the situation before letting his pride get in the way.

However, the Yankees are arguably in a better position with former Yankees’ catcher Joe Girardi (natinal league manager of the year in 2006), taking over for Torre in 2008. The old adage of change for the sake of change is perfectly applicable in this situation. The team appeared to hit a wall in the last few seasons for various reasons, including the inability to cultivate a viable pitching staff and perhaps more importantly, out of a lack of motivation. Torre’s service to the team for such a significant number of years may have led to complacency in the system. With a new manager in place, players will have to be alert to the new expectations that are placed upon them. Perhaps this will ignite a fire under some of the veteran members of the team.

Thank goodness that the Yankees were able to avoid a massive public relations nightmare. Their offer signalled a desire to bring him back—on a short-term basis, and the hiring of Girardi as his replacement represents a movement towards the future as well as a connection to past glory (Girardi won three championships as player for the Yankees in ‘96, ‘98, and ‘99).

Torre got the last word on the topic by holding his own press conference to explain his reasons for not coming back. They may share the same name but Joe Torre is a legend in New York and simply can not be replaced.

The key to managing a group of world class athletes, is to find someone that can bring a sense of stability and composure to the diamond. Furthermore, playing in the most demanding market in the world requires a manager who can face the media on a daily basis, answering questions in a dignified and direct manner. Curiously, that sounds very much like the man who just left the team.

Halloween: cultivating a community of freaks

Whether or not you believe in ghosts or the undead, Halloween screams for your attention. A trip to any Shoppers Drug Mart will confirm this—the casual observer will note candy bars mingling with garish decorations in orange and black, while chintzy polyester costumes of witches and “naughty” medical personnel dangle beside the first red velveteen bows of Christmas. It’s a spectacle of consumerism, decadence and attention deficit disorder, all at the same time.

Still, Halloween deserves more credit than we give it, schlepping our two-fours and last-minute costume choices to the party destination of the hour. October 31, this ridiculous little blip on the calendar, is a muchneeded and perfectly-timed dose of therapeutic community. It is a bear hug in holiday dress.

Looking back on my own first Halloween in Toronto three years ago, I was a first-year student clumsily maneuvering my way through U of T’s vast social pathways. Seven weeks into my life in a new city where no one knew my name, I slipped into a space suit and became someone else. It no longer mattered that I was a stranger, because all around town, people were opting for anonymity. I went to a party and chatted with Shakespeare. I shared a mickey with a girl dressed up like Jennifer Beals, circa Flashdance. I danced with zombies. I was no longer alone.

Whether you’re in your first year at U of T or your fifth-year victory lap, chances are you’ve felt stranded here. Students frequently complain about a lack of community, and who could blame them when we’re surrounded by too many study spaces, not enough campus hangouts, and let’s face it, too many damned faces to keep track of. It’s easy to feel insignificant and overwhelmed at this time of the year, when essays and midterms threaten to take over our allotted time for human contact and—dare I say it?—fun. The days are getting short and cold, and instead of sharing this shock together, we’re holed up at Robarts.

As an outlet for the insanity we are all feeling, Halloween holds a potent and palpable power. Even the international and exchange students, many of whom initially approach our very North American holiday traditions with the same cynicism of the anti- Valentine’s brigade, are typically won over after their first costume party.

Alas, Halloween is now one day behind us, but we can still revel in the afterglow of its silly, glorious unwinding— or, at least, in the clearance shelves around town that await our sugar-seeking fingers.

A tale of two goalies

Every season Leaf fans ask themselves, “Will this be our year?” With al the turnover on the roster, behind the bench, and in management, that query has become the one constant in an inconsistent season. This year the same concern is being addressed, but unlike most years, the answer will be contingent on how the goaltending situation sorts itself out.

In seasons past, success has been built on the skill of a tremendous goalie. Toronto has been spoiled by Felix Potvin, Curtis Joseph, and Ed Belfour, of whom at least one will eventually make it to Cooperstown. Their play has allowed the team to hide many of the most glaring weaknesses in its defence and overall positional play. This season, they do not have that luxury.

For the first time in years, Leafs defense has been unpredictable. Neither fans nor players can be certain of who will be between the pipes on any given day. The question has shifted from “Will this be our year?” to“Who will be in goal?”

Two possible answers come to mind: Vesa Toskala and Andrew Raycroft, though if you ask those close to the team, they would probably argue for “none of the above” as a fair alternative.

Toskala, who finished 2006 with a 2.35 GAA, had a productive year with the San Jose Sharks, though many of those stats came as a backup to starter Evgeni Nabakov.

In Raycroft, the Leafs have a former Calder Trophy winner who just last season posted a 2.99 GAA to go with 37 wins. Of the two, Raycroft is the most proven in blue and white, but many still criticize his inability to steal a big game or get the big save in crucial situations.

In an interview with The Varsity, Leafs TV personality and broadcaster Jody Vance said, “I know Leafs’ fans say we should have kept Belfour, or that Curtis Joseph should come back. But it’s not always the answer to look to former players as the tonic or cure in a current time of struggle. Give them [Raycroft and Toskala] time, that’s my advice.”

Perhaps Toronto’s notoriously fickle fans are simply being overanalytical, making rash judgements too early in the year. Of course, it’s easy to look on and say that the goaltending sucks when players are being compared to Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour.

“These are great athletes who are being asked to perform on hockey’s most pressure-filled stage,” Vance said of Toskala and Raycroft.

The theory does have some validity, as neither Raycroft nor Toskala have played in a city that places as much scrutiny on its hockey teams. In contrast, Belfour and Joseph came to Toronto by way of Dallas and Edmonton, hockey hotbeds where expectations were always high.

As the adage goes, time will tell. In time, Leafs fans will get the answer they’ve been waiting for—but if current results are any indication, it may not be the answer they want to hear.

UTSU undermining democracy

You’ve most likely seen their posters, flyers, and buttons, and their stickers on the free coffee—right across from the polling stations—in support of the “yes” vote. Undergraduate students are being asked to vote on the construction of a Student Commons on the St. George campus. However, have students had a chance to access information in support of a “no”?

We all agree that student space is an important part of our university experience. The administration is well aware of our needs, but prefers to reserve its own budget for expanding high-cost, revenue-generating programs like the expansion of the Rotman School of Business. Students have long resisted these projects. In 2002, an overwhelming 82 per cent of students voted against the proposed Varsity Stadium levy, which would have funded a building useful only to the school’s elite athletes.

This year’s referendum could easily dupe a new generation of students into paying for buildings through levy contributions rather than expecting the university to responsibly distribute tuition and government subsidies. Our university is a public institution: the government, not students scraping by on loans, should pick up the tab to ensure space needs are met.

The “vote yes” flyers flooding campus are misleading. They advertise a $5 levy, while in reality, students would pay $10 per year from summer 2008 until its completion. In its first year upon opening, the centre would cost each student $41.50, increasing by up to 10 per cent in each subsequent year. Once the first 25 years are over, the operating costs would remain subject to a continuing 10 per cent maximum annual increase permanently. Yet pro-levy flyers reveal none of these substantive costs. Raising incidental fees through levies like this is a very serious burden to put on students, especially considering that OSAP will not take this levy into account when assessing loan allotments.

All materials critical of the project have been torn down almost immediately. Dissenters have been followed, confronted, and felt harassed by the elected leaders of UTSU. On October 29, UTSU executives also called campus police on critics peacefully handing out flyers—a form of free speech—on St. George Street, claiming that they were violating UTSU bylaws. Only UTSU members fall under the organization’s bylaws.

The “yes” campaign run by UTSU has channeled student money into a high-cost campaign—which includes promotional t-shirts, free food and drinks near polling stations—and have done their best to intimidate any critics of the project. These unjust tactics have been witnessed by shocked students across campus.

Part-time students have been criticized for opposing the proposed student centre, even though the referendum is an issue that impacts our campus as a whole and sets a dangerous precedent for the future. The “yes” side, however, has brought students from York, Ryerson, and the Canadian Federation of Students onto campus to campaign on behalf of the levy.

This is not a democratic referendum. Pro-levy campaigners are clearly afraid of losing, given that they are resorting to such underhanded, juvenile, and unprofessional behavior.

Katie Wolk is involved in the APUS campaign against the Student Commons levy.