UAB spurns stock plan

U of T’s University Affairs Board voted down a proposed change to the university’s policy for ridding its portfolio of unethical investments on Tuesday, Nov. 6. The revision would have put decisions in the hands of an advisory committee of presidential appointees. Currently, such decisions come from a committee of Governing Council members, drawn from each of its fi ve constituencies.

Student groups who have pushed for divestment expressed frustration at the proposed policy.

“The changes that they wanted to make did not address any of our concerns, they make things even worse,” said Kenneth Lee, co-president of Students Taking Action Now: Darfur.

STAND’s May 2007 divestment proposal asked the university to adopt policies banning investments with companies linked to the Darfur genocide, naming two companies—Total SA and Alcatel—operating in Darfur. According to Catherine Riggall, VP business affairs the advisory committee decided that these companies did not “meet the threshold for divestment.” U of T invests $6.5 and $5.6 million respectively in Alcatel and Total SA.

“I think we need to be careful about setting up pre-screening devices,” said Rigall. According to her, pre-screening stocks is a costly process. Keeping tobacco stocks out of U of T’s portfolio costs the university $20,000 a year.

Thomas Felix, co-chair of the Committee on Responsible Investment at U of T, also expressed disappointment with the proposal in an address to the UAB.

CRI-UT represents the University of Toronto Students’ Union, the Graduate Students’ Union and the Scarborough Campus Students’ Union, as well as the part-time and full-time employees’ unions and several student groups working for responsible investment.

“[The proposed committee] would be run solely by the president, which doesn’t seem like an adequate way of looking at stakeholder interests,” said Felix. Under the proposed system, GC would not have oversight of divestment decisions.

The University of Toronto Asset Management Corporation oversees U of T’s billions’ worth of stocks and holdings.

For divestment to take place, U of T’s Policy on Social and Political Issues with Respect to University Investments currently requires a petition with at least 300 signatures, to be reviewed by a five-person committee of governors before the university’s president approves or rejects the proposal.

Since its adoption in 1978, the university has made at least two notable divestments—from companies participating in the South African apartheid in 1988, and last year, from companies that profit from tobacco following action from E-butt, a campus tobacco control group.

The proposed changes also indicated that investments by UTAM should avoid very high risks while still aiming to maximize profits.

“Despite the fact that we have been continually trying to say that we would like to collaborate on the issue,” said Felix, “they seem resistant to any sort of move outside that which was created in 1978.”

In a May 30 letter, U of T president David Naylor expressed his intention of reviewing the policy and said no further petitions would be accepted until the new system was in place. STAND had already sent out its petition by this date, so the Darfur stock issue was still considered.

A-Rod back on the market

After four years, the New York Yankees’ love-hate relationship with third baseman Alex Rodriguez has come to an end. During game four of the World Series, Rodriguez’s agent, Scott Boras, announced that A-Rod will be opting out of his $180 million contract with the Yankees.

The Yankees, who pay A-Rod $25 million per year, were looking to extend his contract to $30 million to keep him in New York. But Hank Steinbrenner, son of Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, told reporters that if A-Rod opted out, they will not pursue him as a free agent.

Boras said on Friday that the starting ground for contract negotiations will begin at $350 million; this is hardly chump change, even for the Yankees.

A-Rod’s pinstripe-wearing days seem to be over. But who has the money for such an athlete? Will ARod move to Boston if they choose to not sign Mike Lowell? Could he go to loveable loser Chicago Cubs? Will he end up back on the west coast? In a sport with no salary cap, the offseason looks to be interesting. So let the bidding begin on A-Rod, starting at ridiculous and potentially rising to insane.

A Common denominator

Students have voted to fund a new student centre with a levy starting next summer.

Nearly 3,100 votes were cast in the referendum, according to an UTSU news release, which added that the results were awaiting confi rmation of voter eligibility before being ratified.

Unofficially, UTSU reported that 1789 students voted “yes,” 1205 voted “no” and 78 ballots were spoiled.

Despite complaints by some that the “yes” campaign advertised excessively, some students were yet unaware that there was a referendum being held.

Manorah Pais, a fi rst-year Engineering student, said that she saw the posters but had no idea what the referendum was actually about. She also claimed that while announcements were made about the referendum well in advance of the election in many arts and science classes, the topic was only breached in fi rstyear engineering classes on the last day of voting. Similarly, while Sidney Smith Hall was the site of aggressive campaigning from both sides, Pais said that there was no information in or around the Engineering complex.

No matter what the result is, or could have been, this has been a campaign and an issue fraught with controversies, problems, and allegations. It remains to be seen whether further complaints will be bought against any parties and what the consequences of such actions will be.

UTSU president Andréa Armborst has called the APUS-led “no” campaign an “illegitimate interference and campaign of falsehoods” and claimed APUS’s possible eviction from its current location has nothing to do with the Student Commons.

For its own part, the “yes” campaign received demerit points for misconduct in the referendum, after Gail Alivio, the chief returning offi cer, for the referendum ruled that they breached UTSU’s charter for referenda when they placed a banner within sight of a polling station.

Talk fights rape

Over four out of five female female rape victims are attacked by someone they know and trust, according to a 2006 report by Statistics Canada. This alarming statistic caught the eye of Jewish Women International of Canada and prompted the organization to host a weekend-long conference dedicated to the issue in Montreal this past weekend.

At the beginning of the school year two 19-year-old women both students at York University, were attacked and raped in their dorm rooms after two men broke into their residence while they were sleeping. A third victim fought off her assailant. A week earlier, a 23-year-old student at Carleton University was brutally bound, beaten, and sexually assaulted while alone in one of the school’s chemistry labs.

Despite disturbing cases such as these, very little research has been done on sexual assault on Canada’s university campuses.

“You can’t do prevention unless you have education,” Penny Krowitz, executive director of JWIC, told The Hour.

The JWIC event, “Sexual Assault on Campus: Exposing the Truth,” was open to all, though the first day was mostly geared towards students. Speakers from across the field touched upon such issues as sexual assault awareness, education and prevention, support for assault victims, and evaluations of current treatment of sexual assault by local institutions. JWIC also distributed a five-minute video to help demonstrate what constitutes sexual assault through four different scenarios.

Policy wonks woo walkers

On Thursday, Nov. 8 from 7-9 p.m., Toronto’s Metropolitan Reference Library will host the conference “Steps Towards a Walkable City” as part of the third instalment of a series of workshops aiming to make Toronto a “great walkable city.” The meeting will provide a framework for public discussion on the priorities and appropriate resources needed to establish a successful walking strategy. The general public, as well as Toronto’s city council and other city agencies, will be presented with proposed policies and asked for feedback. The Walking Strategy is part of the city’s suggested shift away from the use of vehicles as a mode of transportation, and towards a more pedestrian- oriented system.

A HOT habitat for Toronto

Regardless of how long you stare at your utility bills, your mouth wide open, they will not disappear. However, there is something that might lighten the load. The City of Toronto is moving towards establishing a comprehensive plan to create and maintain affordable housing. Housing Opportunities Toronto, released yesterday, has set upon a goal to assist roughly 200,000 Toronto households in the next 10 years, who are currently living in subpar housing and paying too much for it. And while this plan will call for a $469 million annual investment, along with extensive federal government support, Toronto believes that affordable housing will contribute to the economy and resident’s financial and emotional health. “Our city’s continued success as a healthy, safe and productive place to live depends on providing housing opportunities for all,” said Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti, Chair of the Affordable Housing Committee. In the last three years, Toronto has won more than 70 public service awards; now the City must practice what it preaches, and cash out for rent.

You snooze you win

Toronto high school students might get an extra two hours of sleep in the morning, after research showing that teenagers with more rest are happier, better functioning, and have increased memory retention, and subsequently achieve better grades at school. The plan is part of District School Board Trustee Cathy Dandy’s idea to let high school students begin their day at 11:30 a.m. to better support the adolescent sleep pattern. “There are all kinds of ways in which we are exploring [how to improve] student success, and this seems pretty basic,” Dandy told the Toronto Star last week. She suggested that teenagers aren’t lazy, but rather are just biologically deprived. Last year, a study at Munich’s Ludwig Maximilians University proved that the onset of puberty shifts the body clock forward, making teenagers evening-type people, and making them less alert and functional in the morning.

Editorial: U of T’s democratic sham

Political science students at U of T might tell you of a troubling trend now being recognized in Third World countries, an emerging kind of autocrat dubbed “dictators for a democratic age.” Leaders like Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez prove that despite superficial appearances of democracy, a political system can easily be manipulated behind the scenes. Whereas the definition of tyranny was once limited to countries that maintained concentration camps, controlled their citizens’ lives through the use of violence, and officially banned opposition voices, the rise of leaders like Chavez shows that creative tactics can ensure perpetual power for the few, while preserving the illusion of rule by the people.

Sadly, it appears that over the last few years U of T students have fallen under a similar regime. From the dubious connections between Your Team candidates and the Canadian Federation of Students during last spring’s University of Toronto Student Union elections, to the unholy strategies used by the “yes” campaign’s members in last week’s Student Commons referendum, questions about the fairness of our school’s political process are justifiably being raised.

Senai Iman, who ran against Your Team last year under the New Deal slate, put it bluntly: “Our student governments today survive on a complex system of political affiliation, blatant patronage, and monopoly over the rules that govern them.”

Iman cited the UTSU elections last year between Your Team, which supported the CFS, and New Deal, which did not. CFS represents dozens of student unions across the country. If New Deal won and pulled UTSU out of the CFS, the federation would lose the hundreds of thousands of dollars U of T students pay the group each year in union dues. Despite the CFS’s vested interest in the election results, UTSU’s chief returning officer and election supervisor last year was Eric Newstadt, who was a CFS executive at the time he accepted the position.

While Your Team won, there is no evidence that Newstadt directly influenced the election results. Nevertheless, it is not unreasonable to question his impartiality. Affiliations in themselves aren’t incriminating, but surely we must question the legitimacy of a system that allows such close ties to exist at its highest levels.

Last Thursday, The Varsity ran a story exposing the questionable methods of the “yes” side in the SC referendum, a group predominantly made up of the same individuals who campaigned for Your Team last year. Some disturbing tactics included the bribing of voters with free coffee directly across from a polling station at Sid Smith, attempts to use campus police to silence “unregistered” opposition, and the mysterious absence of a polling booth at Victoria College (whose students were less likely to support a campus-wide student commons due to plans for their own).

Hugh Macintyre, who was approached last Tuesday by UTSU president Andrea Armborst as he distributed literature opposing the Student Commons levy, described another disturbing incident. “They told me I was violating the Code of Conduct,” he wrote on his blog. “They asked me if my degree was important to me. They told me that their lawyers were very excited.” The fact that he has faced no official sanctions makes one suspicious that these threats were baseless, designed only to intimidate him into silence.

On the international scene, human rights organizations like Amnesty International decry Chavez’s selective censorship of opposition through the use of complicated electoral regulations and the mandatory registration of opposition voices, all under the guise of preserving “fairness.” Canadians of all political stripes would agree such conduct has no place in this country. Why, then, is it happening at Canada’s biggest university?

There is clearly a group of elite students at this school who, for whatever reason, think they know what is best for the rest of us. And if that means adopting illiberal tactics, so be it, they say, politics is a dirty game. Even though U of T appears to operate under a democracy, the smallest amount of scrutiny reveals a different story.

But these movers and shakers are not the only ones to blame for this democratic deficit at U of T. Voter apathy shoulders part of the responsibility for this abysmal state of affairs. Turnout for student elections and referendums is dismal, making the job all the easier for those who wish to control student politics. As the latest incidents of creeping authoritarianism come to light, one can only hope student voters will pay more attention.