UNB student under investigation for hate crimes

A University of New Brunswick law student is under investigation for disseminating hate speech online. The student is accused of spreading hate literature against women, blacks, First Nations, homosexuals, the mentally disabled, and other minority groups.

Shane Martinez, also a UNB law student, discovered the website—www.prank.org—while trying to find his classmate’s contact information online. Martinez, who was working on a class assignment with the student in question, was shocked to find the site, which he says goes as far as to promote genocide against the mentally disabled.

But when The Varsity checked prank.com, the site seemed more of a repository of juvenile practical jokes—admittedly incredibly mean-spirited ones—than the fanatic hate forum Martinez described.

For example, in a comment that is representative of the site in general, user RedNeckClown made a post titled “fun sex prank,” which read: “after you’re done bagging your girlfriend wip [sic.] out a fresh condom and claim you forgot to put on one to begin with.” RedNeckClown lists his location as “Far From Black People.” Another, higuy93, suggests emptying a friend’s shampoo bottle and filling it with Nair hair-remover. This is roughly the pinnacle of discourse on the site—most forum threads quickly degenerate into users insulting each other. Martinez claims the student had been posting hateful comments over the past few years under the user name ROB. In March 2008, Shane filed a complaint with the Human Rights Commission.

When The Varsity checked prank.com for evidence of hate crime, the only posts by ROB that were found still online dated back to 2004. In one representative post, ROB advised would-be pranksters, “pranking isn’t for cowards. If someone is bullying you, pranking them won’t help, it will only prove how much of a loser you are. Don’t be a fag [sic.], kick your bully’s ass, if you need a baseball bat or a piece of rebar to do it, that’s ok.”

UNB communications manager Dan Tanaka told The Varsity, “The allegaations are serious and the panel is looking to determine what, if any, impact the alleged activities have had on the learning environment within the faculty.” The panel, along with the board of deans and the president, is expected to make a decision in late November. UNB told The Daily Gleaner. “We’re dealing with allegations at this point.” Because the incident occurred during the student’s own time and while they are off-campus, it lies outside the university’s disciplinary code. The university has, however, set up a panel to further investigate the matter.

If the student is found guilty, the consequences could range from a mere letter of reprimand to an outright expulsion from UNB. The Fredericton Police is also investigating the incident as a possible public incitement of hatred.

$25,000 at stake for Governor General’s Literary Awards

The 2008 finalists for the Governor General’s Literary Awards, Canada’s top prize for literature, were announced on Tuesday.

Seventy-three authors are vying for awards in seven categories, including fiction, non-fiction, children’s literature, and translation. Both English and French titles are eligible to win the $25,000 prize.

The current frontrunner in the fiction category is Rawi Hage, also nominated for this year’s Scotiabank Giller Prize and Rogers Writers’ Trust Fiction Prize. His novel Cockroach is narrated by a struggling immigrant in Montréal who must come to terms with the privileged lives of his neighbours. Other high-profile nominees include Nino Ricci, author of Origin of the Species, and Rivka Galchen, selected for Atmospheric Disturbances.

In the non-fiction category, James Orbinski has been generating serious buzz with his book An Imperfect Offering: Humanitarian Action in the 21st Century. Orbinski, the founder of Doctors Without Borders/Médécins Sans Frontières, offers his perspective on the effectiveness of aid workers and non-profit organizations in politically unstable countries.

Toronto-based author Mariko Tamaki received a nod in the children’s literature category for her graphic novel Skim. Centered on a private-school outsider, this book has been well received by those long past their high school years.

This year’s jury includes novelist Jane Urquhart and Toronto’s Poet Laureate Pier Giorgio Di Cicco. The winners will be announced November 18.

York U TA’s vote to strike

(updates below)

York University teaching assistants are set to strike if a settlement between CUPE Local 3903 and the York administration cannot be reached by Nov. 6.

A strike mandate vote held last week garnered 85 per cent support from the union’s 1,192 members, including teaching assistants, graduate assistants, and contract faculty. As a result the union’s position has gained strength at the bargaining table.

The union’s demands include wage increases that account for inflation, an annual adjustment reflecting the cost of living, elimination of tuition fees for union members, and increased job security for contract faculty.

Faculty of Arts dean Robert Drummond is negotiating on behalf of the administration and has stressed the importance of reaching a compromise.

“Nobody gets everything that they want in a deal, but we want to find out what things they think are most critical,” he told the Excalibur, a York U campus newspaper. “In some cases we will be able to find a resolution, and in other cases it may be more difficult.”

Christine Rosseau, chair of the CUPE Local 3903 spoke to Excalibur, criticizing the administration’s lack of urgency in reaching a resolution.

“It’s been the administration who has been delaying things. We’ve been bargaining since June, and we’ve been met with nothing.”

Both sides maintain they are hoping to find a resolution without the need to disrupt classes. However, neither remains very optimistic.

York Federation of Students will be endorsing CUPE Local 3903 and supporting their actions to reach a fair collective agreement.

“YFS is supporting CUPE 3903, who are primarily students,” said Hamid Osman, president of York Federation of Students. “Teaching assistants and graduate assistants want a fair deal, and it is up to the administration to come to the table and propose that.”

While many York students support the union, but many fourth year students are concerned about how a strike would affect their commencement.

Keshini Budhoo, a fourth year psychology student, said, “The TA’s are an important part of classes and they do work hard. I think they are entitled to a pay raise but it is unfair to students who are looking to go to graduate school and are in their last year. They will be put at a disadvantage if the semester has to be extended.”

It remains unlikely that a resolution will be reached before the strike deadline. However, talks between the two sides are set to increase in frequency as the date draws closer.

Update November 7

By the Nov. 6 deadline the administration and CUPE 3903 were yet to reach a settlement, and York University’s contract faculty, teaching and graduate assistants, went on strike. All classes are cancelled, with picket lines at every university entrance.

“York University says their hands are tied. We’re earning a wage we can’t live on. We can’t afford to go on strike, but the long-term benefits tell us we can’t afford not to strike,” says Punan Khosla, a York University teaching assistant.

The strike could potentially be debilitating for undergraduate students. “Some people are saying that [the strike] is causing an inconvenience for so many students, but it’s the administration who is causing the inconvenience because they’re not willing to compromise,” says York student Deena Dadachanji.

In 2000, CUPE 3903 held the longest strike in Canadian university history, lasting 76 days.

The administration has not returned the Varsity’s repeated phone calls. The union has said they will continue the strike until the administration agrees to go back to the bargaining table.

–Saron Ghebressellassie

Much more than heavy metal

The Wallberg building on the north side of College Street extends all the way from King’s College Circle to St. George. As the sizeable stronghold of U of T’s vast engineering empire, it exudes a sense of scientific prowess. Upon entering this unknown territory, I am met with questioning looks. “I’m looking for students in metallurgy,” I say. But the students seem just as confused as I am.

I can’t say I blame them—after all, what exactly is metallurgy? Visions of swords and tempered steel come to mind, accompanied by the sound of hammers pounding iron. It sounds like some mysterious medieval craft, a U of T secret involving fully-armoured scientists mixing metals in the basement.

In my unremitting quest to solve this mystery, I am eventually directed to a series of administrative offices in the easternmost division of Wallberg. This is the home of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering—MSE for short. I have found my answer.

Part of the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering, MSE is the discipline that studies relationships between the structure, properties, performance, and processing of materials. Until 1998, it was known as the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Science, until a decision to update the department’s image was made to attract more students to the field. According to departmental chair Professor Doug Perovic, the department is an important one. “There are a lot of personal and emotional attachments to metallurgy. It’s a long-standing important part of what we do, and it’s a big part of what Canada does,” he says. “Although we do a lot with metals, we wanted to get the message out that this department does a whole lot more.”

MSE encompasses the more traditional study of metallurgy, as well as newer fields like nanotechnology, ceramics, polymers, and biomaterials. From the atomic level, to large scale production and extraction of materials, undergraduate and graduate students are exposed to a wide range of options.

“This department has a lot of interdisciplinary connections, and a lot of cross-appointments between faculty,” says Varuna Prakash, a MSE graduate now pursuing a Masters in clinical biomechanical engineering. “It’s very diverse.”

As the smallest undergraduate engineering department at U of T, MSE students benefit from small class sizes and the chance to really get to know their professors. They also get hands-on experience in research labs and within the industry. Although it may be small, the MSE department at the University of Toronto happens to be the largest in North America, and is ranked first in Canada.

“It’s one of the smaller disciplines of engineering, but it’s crucial,” says Perovic. “Just look around—everything is made of materials, and whether it’s aerospace or automotive, cell phones, or hip implants and heart valves: we do all that. That’s on the product end. But on the primary end, this stuff has to be taken out of the ground. That’s the metallurgy process side: refining, smelting, [producing it] cost-effectively with less environmental damage. That’s what we continue to advance in our research.”

The Department of Materials Science and Engineering may be demanding, but it is highly applicable to a broad range of disciplines. “Engineers turn up everywhere,” says MSE undergraduate and graduate counsellor Maria Fryman. In fact, graduates of the University of Toronto’s MSE program have gone on to study medicine and business, with some working in the metallurgy industry, or pursuing PhD degrees in materials.

So why study materials science? According to one professor, MSE allows us to bridge different areas of technology, and fuse the traditional disciplines of science to gain a deeper understanding of nature. New streams of research like nanotech and biomaterials are based on the traditional basis of metallurgy. There are many socio-economic issues attached to the extraction and processing of metals. While one third of Canada’s economy is related to mining and materials, these numbers aren’t seen in the workforce.

Material scientists and engineers are crucial in the production of all the things we use on a day-to-day basis—from clothes and electronics to buildings and bridges. So as it turns out, there’s more to metallurgy than mixing metals in a basement after all.

Saskatchewan gives $1M for FNUC’s sake

After numerous financial setbacks, the First Nations University Canada is getting a helping hand from the province of Saskatchewan with a one-time bailout of $2 million.
“This agreement is meant to ensure that the university can move forward,” said Rob Norris, Saskatchewan’s minister of advanced education, employment, and labour, in an Oct 7 statement..
Norris, who put forward the short-term solution after hearing about FNUC’s financial woes in July, said the money would enable the university to provide students with the best education possible.
FNUC president Charles Pratt said the university has had a history of problems, with part of its $1 million deficit stemming from federal cutbacks.

The university has also dealt with allegations of mismanagement. Two former faculty members are currently facing fraud charges.

As planned, over a million dollars will go towards bringing FNU’s faculty wages up to provincial standards. The remaining $500,000 will be allotted once FNU successfully completes a $400,000 financial review.
As for the long-term solution, FNUC’s board of governors has just over 3 months to come up with a financial strategy.

Researchers find rare fossil

This past summer, University of Toronto researchers were the first to uncover a unique male Anapithecus fossil.

Members of the genus Anapithecus , a side branch in the tree of primate evolution, lived 10 million years ago in the Miocene epoch, about 55 million years after the dinosaurs died out. This fossil find is the first complete male Anapithecus maxilla to be discovered. Located in the roof of the mouth, the maxilla forms the upper jaw. It is comprised of two bones—one for each side of the skull—that join at the midline, or centre, of the face. Both sides of the fossil have the canines, the premolars, and the molars in place. The large size of the canines enabled researchers to identify the fossil as male. Having such a complete set of teeth in a single maxilla allows researchers to compare isolated molar fossils to determine whether they are male or female.

The excavation was carried out by the Rudabanya Hominid Origins Project, a research project run by Dr. David Begun of the University of Toronto and Dr. Laszlo Kordos of the Geological Institute of Hungary. The fossil was found by Dr. Begun’s graduate students during an excavation at Rudabanya, a town in the northern region of Hungary. Other fossils found at the site include a female Anapithecus mandible, a rhino innominate (or hip bone), an entire hipparion forelimb, and several Anapithecus teeth.

The Rudabanya Hominid Origins Project has gone to the Rudabanya site every summer for many years to investigate the genus Rudapithecus, a human ancestor. Anapithecus , previously known as Dryopithecus, inhabited Rudabanya 10 million years ago, and was likely a very early great ape. Great apes today include gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans. Learning about ape evolution is key to understanding how we evolved.

Once a subtropical swamp on the edge of an inland sea, Rudabanya was home to a variety of species, including amphibians, beavers, mastodons, and the hipparion, a three-toed ancestor of the horse. The sea has since dried up, but a large number of fossils remain. These bones bear markings that give researchers clues about the animal’s life. This method of studying fossils is called “functional anatomy,” and is a key component of Dr. Begun’s research. Good indicators of lifestyle are the phalanges, or finger bones. Strongly curved phalanges indicate strong muscles for grasping, as these muscles exert stress on the bone itself, curving it during the animal’s lifetime. The elbow joint is another clue, and can show if an animal swung from branches, like a gibbon, or walked on their hands, like a gorilla. Anapithecus and Rudapithecus fossils suggest they lived in trees, prompting researchers to speculate Rudabanya was previously a forested swamp.

Quebec university bailed out of $600M financial woes

Quebec taxpayers will pick up a $400 million tab for the Université du Québec à Montréal’s costly real estate misadventure.

“We are taking measures as a government to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” said Education Minister Michelle Courchesne.

The bailout, announced Oct. 8, means the university will not drown in its mismanaged funds and hasty construction deals. It will cover the $180 million bill for the Pierre Dansereau science complex and the $65 million in operating grants which the province of Quebec has withheld since the university’s financial troubles went public in 2005.

This money is in addition to the $200 million the province has given to cover the cost of the Îlot Voyageur site—a building UQAM has realized it will never use.

Over the past year, UQAM has replaced many staff members linked to the financial crisis. It also plans to cut programs to have its finances balanced by 2014.

Meanwhile, Courchesne has promised to revise legislation on university administration and expansion plans. The new guidelines should be released soon.

Did you know that mass extinctions may have been caused by climate change, not plunging asteroids?

Scientists have recently hypothesized that the majority of mass extinction events were the result of climate change, not directly caused by catastrophic events such as an asteroid collision.

There have been five separate mass extinction events identified by scientists. The most recent, known as the K–T extinction event, wiped the dinosaurs off our planet. Previously, it was thought that this mass extinction was caused by a massive asteroid collision, which cooled the climate and increased Earth’s albedo. The other four mass extinctions are thought to be directly caused by climate change.

One source of evidence is the bouquet-like crystals of aragonite formed on the ocean floor during two separate mass extinctions, 250 and 200 million years ago. USC doctoral student Sarah Greene suggests both events experienced similar processes, resulting in the mass killing of ocean coral reef populations.

“The fact that these deposits have only been found at these two specific times associated with mass extinction suggests at the very least, that maybe there’s some shared ocean geochemistry that could be related to the cause of the extinctions,” says Greene.

These are only a few examples of how climate change can affect life forms on Earth. According to the 2007 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report, human activities are “very likely” to be the cause of today’s rapid climate change rates. We are gambling with the future of Earth’s species, knowing that climate alterations have resulted in mass extinction events in the past. Yet there is no consensus on how to slow down the rate of climate change.

World-renowned biologist E. O. Wilson emphasizes the devastating loss of biodiversity. “The loss of biodiversity is the most important process of environmental change,” he says. “This is because it is the only process that is wholly irreversible. Its consequences are also the least predictable, because the value of the earth’s biota is largely unstudied and unappreciated.”