UTSC siblings face deportation

Two UTSC students are about to find out where the future will take them.

Steve and Trisha Sherman received deportation orders three weeks ago to return to Guyana. Citizenship and Immigration Canada has denied the two asylum in Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Board Act.

The two have been ordered to leave the country by this Wednesday.

Trisha, a political science student, is in her last year of studies and planned to graduate in May. Steve is in his third year of environmental studies.

“At this point, we’re feeling defeated. We’re packing our bags and putting everything in the hands of a supreme being,” said Steve.

“They’re amazing, giving people; some of the best people I’ve known. Ever since they came to Canada they’ve been working really hard to give back to the community,” said Cheryl Brooks, a friend of Steve’s. She said the Shermans often tutor and volunteer at hospitals.

The Sherman family arrived in Canada in 2002 on a visitor visa. After their immigration request was denied, the parents and younger sister returned to Guyana. As minors, Steve and Trish applied for refugee status.

The family’s background is Indo-Guyanese, who make up 43.5 per cent of the Guyanese population as of 2002, mostly descendants of indentured labourers from India. The upper classes of the community are often subject to persecution and gang violence from Afro-Guyanese, the second largest ethnic group, forming 30.2 per cent of the population.

“When they were kids sometimes they’d be followed home, threatened, have stones thrown at them,” said Brooks. “Their family has been targeted. Businesses in their area owned by Indo-Guyanese would be destroyed.”

The two have been living with their grandparents, who are Canadian citizens.

Last weekend, they were granted a hearing where they presented a 500-signature petition, newspaper articles about the ongoing persecution as well as letters from family, friends, employers, and school officials. The two have spoken with Members of Parliament and attempted to get U of T administration involved. The group No One is Illegal, who supports Canadian refugees regardless of legal status, had planned a rally for last Thursday until the two pulled out.

The appeal was denied yesterday. Their lawyer is now taking the case to federal courts on the basis of a misunderstanding by CIC.

“If they don’t hear anything or get a negative response, they’ll leave Wednesday,” said Brooks. “But if they get a deferral, they’ll stay for as long as the deferral entitles them.”

The Shermans had hoped to stay until May 2 to finish the school year. They were paying domestic tuition fees as they presented a refugee claim.

“I know there are cases in the past where university students have been given more time,” said Steve. “I feel our university isn’t doing enough. It’s been difficult to get in touch with people.”

As of this morning, they have lost the possibility of a 50 per cent refund for dropping courses and paid full tuition for the rest of the semester.

“They are telling us that we’ve already paid our tuition. And they’ve told us that we won’t get a full reimbursement, that it will go according to the reimbursements schedule they have. They offered us no flexibility,” said Steve.

University officials could not be contacted for comment.

Dehydration

Many of us have heard that our body is made up of two-thirds water, that we should drink eight glasses of water a day, and that by the time we’re thirsty, we’re already dehydrated. While the first statement is true, a lot of what we believe to be common knowledge about dehydration is actually myth.

The daily water intake required varies from person to person. It depends on one’s size, diet, and lifestyle. According to M.D. Heinz Valtin, in order to figure out your requirement you should weigh yourself several days in a row at the same time to determine whether your weight stays fairly constant. If there is a difference of one pound between one day and the next, your water intake the day before was insufficient. Drink a pint of juice or water every morning and continue the experiment to see what fluid intake maintains your weight, keeping the same diet patterns. On average, eight glasses of water or two litres equals the amount the average adult loses through respiration, sweat, and urination. Food and other beverages also count towards replenishing these two litres. In terms of lifestyle, physical activity will affect an individual’s water requirement. R.D. Leslie Bonci, director of sports nutrition in the Medical Center at the University of Pittsburgh explains, “Exercise blunts your thirst mechanism. You lose fluid so rapidly that the brain can’t respond in time.” It’s recommended that people hydrate themselves prior to going to the gym. Bonci says, “It takes 60 minutes for liquid to travel from your gut to your muscles.” In terms of exercise, humans lose salts via sweat, so sports drinks like Gatorade are a wiser alternative.

While thirst is a sign that we are mildly dehydrated, the thirstier we become is not an indication that we are becoming increasingly dehydrated. Also, thirst is not immediately relieved even once we’ve replenished our systems. Studies indicate that by the time we are thirsty, we are two to three per cent dehydrated, but we can satiate this thirst by drinking one per cent of our body’s weight in fluid. For the most part, thirst is a pretty reliable indication of hydration status, and if ignored can result in dire consequences.

Contrary to popular belief, caffeinated beverages are not dehydrating. Research has indicated that the diuretic effects of coffee and tea are negligible, and that caffeinated drinks will hydrate you—just not as efficiently as decaffeinated alternatives. Drinking one cup of coffee will give you two-thirds the equivalent of one cup of water. Lawrence Armstrong, professor of kinesiology at the University of Connecticut says, “Caffeinated beverages do not dehydrate you when consumed in moderation, that is, five cups of less per day of coffee, tea, or cola. Any fluids you ingest will help keep your cells saturated, including juice, iced tea, or soda.”

Unlike other beverages, drinking a lot of water, within limits, won’t cause any harm. In fact, it can help prevent kidney stones in people who are susceptible, ease constipation, aid weight loss, and also alleviate water retention in addition to the multitude of the other roles it plays in sustaining human life.

Surprise! You’re elected

French Club president Antonin Mongeau was furious when he got voted off the Clubs Committee. Now, because his replacement didn’t actually want the spot, his seat will remain vacant this semester.

The committee, which gives recognition and funds to UTSU clubs, has three spots for club executives. The committee was re-struck after the Fall by-elections last Friday and UTSU board members voted on the three spots.

VP campus life Athmika Punja, who chairs the committee, nominated Natalie Orellana for a seat. Though Orellana was not present at the meeting, she won over Mongeau.

Punja told The Varsity on Jan 31, “I sent out the call-out […] only two days before the meeting, and [Orellana] got back to me really quickly and said that she couldn’t make it on Thursday but she really wanted to be part of it. I guess it was sort of my duty to nominate her.”

In fact, Punja sent an email to Orellana on the day of the meeting, less than an hour before it was due to start, saying that there was a spot available on the Clubs Committee and inviting her to join. Orellana, president of the Current Affairs Exchange Forum, did not know what the Clubs Committee was.

Punja said that Orellana should have known about the committee from clubs training, which is mandatory for all club leaders.

“At that time it had only been Antonin and Jimmy Lu, so when I sent out the call-out, I saw it as an opportunity to fill that last seat. When I sent out the call-out, I didn’t expect that there would be a big change in the Clubs Committee, the outcome did surprise me.”

Punja’s email to Orellana did not mention the vote. Orellana replied that she could not come to the meeting and asked for more information about the committee. “I can’t today, but maybe next time you guys have a meeting I could come,” she wrote.

Punja told it differently. “The e-mail that I got from [Orellana] said she did [want to join the committee], she just couldn’t make the first meeting.” Later, Punja revised her statement, saying, “I got that she was interested from her email, so I nominated her.”

Punja replied saying that she would add her to “the list,” and that she should make it to the next meeting. By the time Orellana saw this message, she was already a member of the committee, but didn’t know it: “I didn’t assume that I was committing myself to something. There was nothing about voting or whatever.”

“She’s said she doesn’t want to be on it, but we’ve pretty much made all the decisions so far. I guess it’s going to be two people again.”

Mongeau said the vote was done hastily to remove him from the board for political reasons. Punja admitted that she voted against the French Club president, accusing him of being out of order during meetings.

UTSU execs denied that the vote was politically inspired, and repeated that committees are re-struck after by-elections every year. According to UTSU bylaws, committees are supposed to be re-struck in November.

“I only got the directions to re-strike the committee from Adnan [Najmi, VP internal],” said Punja. “I didn’t find out until Tuesday, the meeting was on Friday.” She said she had not checked the bylaws for the rules. “He [Adnan] is the policy guy, I obviously took his word for it.”

Home-court advantage

Fans, alumni, and professors alike packed the Athletic Centre Sports Gym this weekend to watch the Varsity Blues men’s basketball team battle the number-three Ottawa Gee-Gees and number-one Carleton Ravens.

As part of “White Out Weekend,” much of the crowd wore white in support of the Blues’ playoff bid. Even U of T President David Naylor, adorned in a tailored white shirt, cheered on the team at Friday night’s game against Ottawa. “I wish I could come out more often, but I think it’s great to see so many students out and a lot of alumni out tonight,” said Naylor. “Here we are giving the number three team in the country, a very strong game […] It’s fantastic.”

What began as a strong game resulted in a 80-72 loss to Ottawa. Despite being the team’s first home loss of the season, a general optimistic attitude permeated the entire court. While the crowd was decked in white, the Blues were unwilling to wave the white flag.

“We played the third best team in the country without our starting point guard [Nick Magalas], so we did okay,” said Blues head coach Mike Katz. “I thought our guys played really hard, and they tried their best, and the result wasn’t all that terrible. But [Ottawa is] a good team and we just got to keep going. I was proud of our team.”

The Blues lit up the court in the first quarter, outscoring Ottawa 25-19. They shot 55 per cent from the floor, going 3-4 from behind the arc. Guard Rob Paris scored two of the three-pointers, ultimately tallying 18 points in the game. While the team’s momentum began to dwindle in the second quarter, the Blues maintained a three-point lead going into the half.

Although some say that good things come in threes, bad things happened to the Blues in the third. They turned the ball over eight times out of their 19 total, propelling the Gee-Gees to a 61-50 lead. While four of the players scored in double-figures in the game, the team only mustered 11 points in the futile third quarter. Even Blues player of the game Ahmed Nazmi, who tallied an impressive game-high 22 points and nine rebounds, was unable to get a basket during those lifeless 10 minutes.

The team fought back in the fourth, outscoring Ottawa 22-19. But it was too little, too late. Plagued by turnovers and poor shooting from the line, the Blues succumbed to the Gee-Gees, 80-72. Yet the crowd remained boisterous up until the final buzzer.

“I think the fans recognize that Ottawa is a very strong team, much stronger than any of the other opponents we’ve played at home,” explained U of T Modern Jewish History professor and avid basketball fan, Frank Bialystok. “The atmosphere was supportive and strong, and not at all defeatist.”

In only his third start of the season, point guard Anthony DeGiorgio offered insight into what went wrong. “We came out flat in the third quarter and against a team like Ottawa, if we’re going to beat them, we have to play forty minutes,” he said. “We have to play the whole game really well.” For his part, DeGiorgio tallied five rebounds and 10 points, five of which came during his very impressive opening quarter.

While Blues forward Nazmi led both teams in points and rebounds, he modestly deflected praise, focusing on his team’s progress. “Basketball is funny in that it’s the collective, it’s the sum of the individual effort,” he said. “I’m humbled that I was able to step up today, and the trick is to keep that going, and hopefully, we can all do that together. And when we gel together, we can count on more winning.”

The Blues couldn’t count on another win in their following game, falling to the Carleton Ravens 74-54. Yet there’s still something to cheer about: The Blues remain in third-place in the OUA East. With only three games left of the regular season, they are a lock for the playoffs, and it’s almost guareenteed they’ll play at home during the first round. And if there’s one thing that’s been learned this past weekend, it’s that win or lose, with the crowd behind them, the Blues have the advantage.

Potty for primates

Before I even meet Shawn Lehman, I get a clue to his lighter side from the door to his office. More specifically, the dozen comics pasted all over, ranging from single-panel gags to Calvin and Hobbes. Lehman, an anthropology professor, is one of ten finalists for the TVO Best Lecturer Competition. U of T has four profs in the finals.

Lehman brings to mind a cowboy. Something about the tall man in faded jeans recall cattle wranglers from an old Spaghetti Western.

But while Lehman has spent some time in the Wild West—Calgary—he wrangles a different beast. As his students know, Lehman loves to study primates.

It was a big jump. “I was a football player,” he says. “The first time I was on this campus was to play in the Vanier cup in 1985 with the University of Calgary Dinos.” He cracks a grin. “I didn’t think a lot about school, but I did think a lot about football.” Through serendipitous contacts and amazing professors, Lehman ended up in anthropology.

“I love my job,” Lehman pronounces with a hint of a smile. “People talk about ‘doing the job’, but I am the job. This is who I am.”

He grows animated as he launches into stories of his adventures. “One time I was walking in the jungle in Guyana in South America, and I reached the end of this long trail of white sand. I was writing in my notebook as I turned around to head back, and I noticed a huge jaguar print in the sand.”

“And I remember thinking ‘Oh there’s a lot of jaguars, that’s a healthy ecosystem.’ But then I looked at the next print, and I noticed,” Shawn chuckles. “I noticed that it was on top of my boot print.”

He shakes his head a little in recollection. “It turns out that for the last 400 metres or so this enormous jaguar had been walking right behind me. It could have killed me in an instant, but it was just curious.”

Lehman, it seems, has a talent for attracting curiosity. He was nominated for Best Lecturer by students in his first-year Intro to Anthropology course.

“I don’t want to give dry, boring examples,” says Lehman. “If I can render a complex idea down to one silly story, then people will remember it.”

“When you sit down for a test, it’s like this giant eraser wipes your brain clean of all the dry facts, but you’ll still remember the funny stories.”

Though he’s a well-travelled researcher, Lehman admits that there are still some things he hasn’t managed to do: “I’ve always wanted to dress up in a gorilla suit when I’m doing the primate lecture.”

“But all the gorilla suits are one-size-fits-all, and I’m too tall,” he laughs. “But one day I will wear a gorilla suit to class.”

Penalty-killed

In a hard-hitting and penalty-filled affair, the Royal Military College Paladins beat the Mid East division-leading University of Toronto Varsity Blues 4-2 at Varsity Arena Friday night.

In a game that became a consistent march to the penalty box, the Blues (12-10-0-3) and Paladins (8-16-0-2) combined for 15 minors, two majors, and two game misconducts.

Going into the game, Toronto was fourth in the OUA in the man advantage, clipping along at over 20 per cent.

The Blues went 1-9 on the power play, including two five-on-three’s and the Paladins went 2-7.

Toronto had a chance to put the Paladins in the hole in the first period, but failed to convert on three consecutive power plays.

“Their goalie played pretty well,” said Blues forward Sean Fontyn. “We missed the net and tipped some pucks but, again, we didn’t get the puck to the net and it ended up costing us. We’re definitely more skilled but we had one of our worst games [tonight].”

Sometimes, you have to give the opposition kudos. A large portion of the credit goes to Paladins goalie Adam Briggs. The Wallace, Nova Scotia native was RMC’s best penalty-killer, especially during the third period when the Paladins went to the box five times, including a five-minute major for crosschecking to Richard Lim.

“[Briggs] was tremendous,” said Paladins head coach Adam Shell. “We have a young team and a short bench and sometimes we’re going to give up chances. When the guys know it’s going to take a really good play to beat him, they play and inch taller.”

The winning goal scored at 7:52 of the second period was a direct result of playing a basic hockey system.

Luke Pierce went to the net and parked himself to the right of Blues goalie Russ Brownell and jammed a rebound home short side.

“We’re most successful when we play simple,” said Shell. “And the important part of that is getting the puck to the net and having guys there.”

For the eighth time in 10 games, the Blues allowed the opposition to score first.

Just over five minutes into the first period, Paladin Jeff Oke wristed a puck Brownell on a two-on-one pass from teammate Justin Lacey seconds after the Blues killed a penalty.

“We never seem to score the first goal,” said Toronto head coach Darren Lowe. “Our first period is not usually very good. It seems we need a bad period to wake up and play better. We’re trying to find the answer to that but we can’t seem to put our finger on it.”

Toronto rookie Byron Elliott evened the score, netting his 14th goal of the year on the power play at 12:26 of the first.

Lim and Oke also scored for RMC in the second, both on the man advantage, to turn a tie game into a 4-1 visitors lead.

Six minutes after Pierce made it 3-1, the Blues thought they had closed the gap to one. The goal was disallowed because the referee lost sight of the puck.

Blues forward Paul Dupont took a five-minute major and game misconduct at 18:42 of the second after a check to the head.

RMC entered the third with a lead, for only the fourth time in 26 games.

After the Blues killed the Dupont major, Toronto cut the deficit to 4-2 when Bryden Teich scored his second of the season after parking a rebound behind Briggs.

The rest of the third, the Blues buzzed the net, rewarded with three power plays in a row, including a 36-second two-man advantage, but could not get any closer.

“At the beginning of the year we were winning a lot of games with our power play,” said Lowe. “Tonight we missed way too many opportunities and we just didn’t get it done.”

The Blues have 27 points; five ahead of second place Queen’s Golden Gaels. Toronto is 4-8 on the road and two of their three remaining games are away from home.

Brownell stopped 23 shots and took his sixth loss of the year and Briggs stopped 37 for his seventh win.

Syed keeps SCSU

SCSU president Zuhair Syed has won this year’s executive elections to become the student union’s next president-elect.

After ballots were counted Friday night, Syed surpassed his opponent, Daniel Greanya, by more than 170 votes.

This year’s elections saw unusually high engagement at UTSC with student protests, a highly publicized radio show, and coverage in university and national news sources.

The result was more than 1,500 completed ballots and hours of counting for this year’s elections committee. “We started at 8 p.m. [on Friday] and finished right before 6 a.m.,” said chief returning officer Ryan Grosskopf.

But despite the large turnout, abstentions made up more than 10 per cent of total votes. Grosskopf said this may have been to due to students’ limited knowledge about other executive positions.

“People were just there to vote for one candidate and they didn’t know about the others,” he said.

Many of the candidates ran on platforms concerning accountability after news of the closure of campus restaurant Bluff’s and large executive pay raises made headlines in The Varsity, The Strand, and Maclean’s online. To Grosskopf, a lot of it seemed unfair.

“It’s no secret there was lots of hostility towards the current SCSU and that there’s lots of negative articles about the current SCSU, which some of them are re-running,” Grosskopf said.

Still, he admitted the media exposure did have advantages. “Whether [students] read the articles and agreed or they read the articles and felt they were unfair, I think either way it helped bring out a lot more people to vote.”

This year’s elections saw a number of noticeable changes, including three days of voting, five strikes needed for disqualification instead of the standard three, a strong Facebook presence, and campaigning during the voting days.

At press time, no student candidates had requested an appeal on their strikes or asked for a vote recount. The elections committee’s report is set to be ratified on Friday, February 27.

Grad school not a last-ditch resort: profs

Grad school applications are on the rise across Canada. As jobs are cut—Statistics Canada figures show that last month alone lost 34,000 jobs—students seem more inclined to wait out the tough times with more schooling. So far, U of T has received 12,631 grad school applications, an increase of nine per cent from last year.

“Historical evidence is that when the economy goes sour, there tends to be an uptake in applications to graduate schools,” Alan George, dean of graduate studies at University of Waterloo, told the Record.

But Susan Pfeiffer, U of T’s graduate studies dean, said the economic crisis hasn’t necessarily increased the volume. “As far as I know, the increase in applications is not huge,” Pfeiffer said. “I wouldn’t characterize all graduates as flocking to grad school because of the recession. I figure that each applicant is making their own reasonable decision.”
Pfeiffer said grad degrees are always assets: “ It’s good for the person, and good for the society.”

“There is only x-amount of knowledge and experience you can gain with a bachelor’s degree,” said Berina Gacanin, a second-year student and law school hopeful, who knew she wanted to do grad studies before she started her undergrad.

Senior professors are seeing more requests to supervise students for grad school.

“The truth is, the demand exceeds way more than I can do,” says Garry Leonard, an English professor.