“Since the outbreak of the war, the Great Empire of Russia with its 165,000,000 inhabitants has adopted total prohibition, not only for the duration of the war, but for all time. France has rid herself forever of absinthe, generally admitted to be her greatest curse. Great Britain has restricted the hours of sale thoughout the entire kingdom, and put certain areas under complete prohibition, and in GREATER LONDON intoxicants can only be procured five hours in the day. Canada too has been moving. Alberta has gone dry. Saskatchewan, since the outbreak of hostilities, has reduced the places where liquor may be sold from 450 to 23. Manitoba votes on the First of March for Provincial wide Prohibition, and in British Columbia there has been a very serious movement since last summer, which has already exacted the promise from the Government of a referendum of the question at any early date.

WHAT IS ONTARIO’S PLACE ON THIS MARCH OF PROGRESS?
All states look to their universities for leadership. Since the outbreak of hostilities, the University of Toronto has contributed $7,000 to the Patriotic Fund, has sent over 1,700 of its graduates and undergraduates to the front and has fully equipped with men and money the already celebrated “University Base Hospital,” stationed at Soloniki.

OUR EMPIRE’S LEADERS HAVE WITH ONE VOICE PRONOUNCED LIQUOR TO BE THE GREATEST BARRIER BETWEEN US AND VICTORY!
Next week every student over eighteen years of age in the University of Toronto will be given an opportunity of attaching his or her name to [a petition].
—THE CITIZENS’ COMMITTEE OF ONE HUNDRED

On September 17, 1916, prohibition was instituted in Ontario (wine was excepted).