One thing I hate about The Bachelor is it pitted women against each other in a fight to the finish over who deserved Aaron’s affection. The women were turned into objects to be bought with flowers, limousines, and days in the country. I’m certain Aaron is a nice guy, but one of the connotations of being on The Bachelor is that he has to be a manly man, who can take control. This is chauvinism at its best—Aaron has his pick of twenty-five women, whose hearts he can break without even knowing who they are. I mean, how much will a girl be herself in front of a camera and millions of viewers?

The second thing I despise is that this show (as well as most other “dating reality” television) trivializes relationships. I don’t mean to sound mushy, but I believe that the bond two people share is special and should not be showcased for the world. Couples have nuances about their relationship—the flirtatious gestures, the way they talk to each other, and so on. When a show like The Bachelor is aired, it turns a relationship into a marketable product. Everybody wants it, everybody needs it, and for $29.95, it can be yours for life! (Shipping charges may apply, some assembly required.) Relationships are nice, but being without someone isn’t the most horrible thing. Shows like The Bachelor make girls believe they need a boyfriend or they’re worthless. It also makes guys believe they need to be macho to get a girl. Is that what our culture should come to? I didn’t think so either.