A panel discussion led by the Joint Centre for Bioethics last Wednesday regarding the future of stem cell research, human therapeutic cloning and regenerative medicine in Canada revealed that achieving a well-balanced society with good moral values is not as simple as a scarfing a morning bowl of Special K.

Embryonic stem cells are tiny precursor cells that have the capacity to self-renew and differentiate into any cell type in the body.

Human therapeutic cloning and regenerative medicine make use of these cells, and both techniques boast a potential for replacing defective tissues. These techniques may one day be used to treat diabetes, an autoimmune disease characterized by self-destruction of pancreas tissue.

A contentious issue with stem cells is their source—usually human embryos. Although medical science’s ability to grow and harvest human tissue for therapeutic purposes has provided a springboard for a great deal of medical research, what is the moral cost? When does life begin?

One solution is to avoid utilizing embryos entirely. Current research has shown that stem cells reside in mature tissues, and these “somatic stem cells” have much more therapeutic potential than was previously thought. However, embryonic stem cells have so far proved to be incredibly versatile and many researchers think they are best suited for medical purposes.

In this country, the courts have ruled that a fetus has no legal status. Furthermore, Canada, as of yet, has no legislation on the use of stem cells, but a draft proposals is in the works.