Executives from the University of Toronto Students’ Union (UTSU) have released a statement supporting defederating from the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) and the You Decide campaign.

We are grateful to the locals, individual delegates, and even members of the National Executive who expressed support, even privately,” reads a portion of the statement. “However, continued membership of the Canadian Federation of Students is something that we, as executives, can no longer support. We still believe in a progressive, national student movement, but the CFS as an organization is beyond reform.”

The statement was signed by UTSU President Jasmine Wong Denike, Vice-President Internal Mathias Memmel, Vice-President External Matthew Thomas, and Vice-President Professional Faculties Ryan Gomes, which is four out of the seven executives. It was released two days after the conclusion of the CFS-Ontario annual general meeting.

According to the statement, the UTSU delegates had submitted motions on electronic voting and preventing non-student staff from attending CFS meetings as delegates, which were rejected at the CFS-Ontario meeting and at November’s National General Meeting (NGM) in Gatineau, Québec. It also discusses the hidden bank account that was discussed at the NGM.

To this end, the UTSU will actively support reasonable member-initiated efforts to hold a referendum on decertification, including the existing You Decide campaign,” the statement concludes. “The time has come for the members of Local 98 to pursue a future outside of the Canadian Federation of Students.”

This story is developing, more to follow.