The University of Toronto’s Student Newspaper Since 1880

Food Truck Business

The last two years were tough for small businesses, especially for restaurants. But how were Food Trucks able to survive during the Pandemic? Let’s find out!

Several small businesses have closed their doors permanently as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, according to survey data. Almost a third of closing restaurants in Canada might never reopen. 

Despite these statistics, some successful food truck companies are expanding and attracting many customers. Over the last six months, many food truck companies have emerged. Even famous brands have introduced food trucks. 

How do Food Trucks Succeed During The Pandemic?

For some reason, small and large businesses are expanding their food truck offerings, so let’s investigate what’s driving the trend:

– Fastness

The convenience and fastness of food trucks make them ideal for diners who expect delicious food without waiting in line. Food trucks specialize in delivering this type of quick service.

Many traditional restaurants have implemented the drive-thru option to maintain sales. Some restaurants offer takeout and delivery options, but these still require customers to wait for their food to be prepared and delivered. While these initiatives keep restaurants in business, they aren’t sustainable without heavy reorganization.

On the other hand, a food truck was designed for situations like this. For instance, Burger Crush delivers orders within ten minutes. In addition, their efficiency is unsurpassed.

– The Fame

Because food trucks emphasize quality over growth, they are becoming more popular. There is such good food at food truck restaurants that people who have visited them would likely recommend it to others, demonstrating that fame does not necessarily come from size.

A following certainly helps bring in more customers, but businesses of any size can build up their brand and generate local hype. As the food trucks expanded, they gained a reputation that likely made them more appealing.

Food quality is the most important factor in brand recognition for a local food truck. Every time new visitors try their food, they will notice the quality and become their biggest marketing tool. It won’t be long before everyone in town has heard about their food truck.

– More Vegan Options

The popularity of meatless protein options has increased in recent years. As a result, food trucks have increased their product offerings beyond meat to meet this new trend. Omnivores who look for healthier options, also prefer food trucks that serve mushrooms, beans, and chickpeas in their burgers.

– More Event Partnerships and Promotions

During pandemics, food trucks have become more common at events like carnivals, bars, and concerts. The event attracts more fans, while the food trucks get more foot traffic. Additionally, bars are participating in this trend by parking food trucks outside their venues to attract more customers. 

– Exceptional Customer service

The food trucks become successful because they are committed to providing outstanding customer service. The food truck business thrives when customers show appreciation for them during difficult times.

Food truck businesses encourage their customers to wait in air-conditioned cars and then send a text message when their meals are ready. It may seem like a small treat, but these notifications can make a big difference between one small business and another.

Final Words

Although the pandemic has hurt many small businesses, it has pushed many to be more innovative by finding new revenue streams. Food trucks are one of them. Due to their flexibility, food trucks quickly became a substitute for customers unable to dine outdoors during the pandemic. 

Check out Nearindex if you are interested in experiencing a food truck!