St. Michael’s College professes to provide a Christian environment for its students and residents. Yet, as observed by the examples provided below, the Chief Administrators’ repeated violations of the Christian ethic cast doubt on this claim.

1. College authorities remain mute to the hypocrisy of enforcing a moral code of conduct for university residents throughout the year, while tolerating the rampant lawlessness of wealthy teens they house each summer.

2. They were well aware the college’s security company employed students as “subcontractors” (subcontractors pay their own Worker’s Compensation premiums, C.P.P., E.I. and income tax deductions)—a hiring practice that saved the company’s president/former SMC Don time and money, but violated labour laws.

3. They were cunning enough to gladly consent to establishing a Men’s Residence Safety Committee, then refrained from implementing the recommendation.

4. Their charity is such that when, in April of 2001, an infestation of ladybugs forced a Teefy Hall resident to seek temporary accommodations off campus, the college didn’t provide him even the smallest of reimbursements. In another case the following month, they charged a resident of four years, who had requested to stay an extra month to complete his dentistry degree, an extra $270 above the month’s rent because his dorm had a private bathroom.

5. They lack the simple courtesy to forewarn residents and employees before soaking the entire campus with noxious-smelling insecticides.

6. They are quick to invoice students and residents for fees outstanding. Yet they habitually take several months to reimburse residents their $100 damage deposits.

7. Their concern for public safety is deplorable. They fail to intervene with companies working on the premises whose labourers fail to work safely (Safety Committee Minutes, July 2000.)

Also, that same summer SMC administrators neglected to restrict accessibility for walkways under construction or for buildings being renovated. Furthermore, they retain the employment of a grounds supervisor despite his stubborn disregard for safety—a stubbornness that warranted a 27-point grievance by one of his employees to the Ministry of Labour in December 2000. (Apparently, certain Basilian priests/administrators cherish this supervisor’s efforts at keeping their favourite gardens well watered.)

1. Last, but not least, on this abridged list of reproachable deeds is the administration’s repeated disregard for their own employees, many of whom are devout Catholics.

After long enduring unresolved grievances, inadequate wage increases and false hopes for a representative seat on the college’s governing council, workers were compelled to unionize for more affirmative action.

It’s not that these chief administrators are ignorant of the Christian ethic.

They hear the teachings of Christ and the New Testament writers concerning love, honesty, charity, kindness and consideration towards others weekly, at their Sunday Mass.

They are well aware of their duplicity and their lack of integrity.

Michael A.J Pereira, HBSc is a former St. Michael’s College Resident. He graduated in 2001.