An American author sold copies of his new book at a lecture at U of T’s Munk Centre—even though his publisher refuses to distribute the book in Canada on grounds that it violates obscenity laws.

Richard Meyer, an art historian at the University of Southern California and author of Outlaw Representation: Censorship and Homosexuality in Twentieth Century American Art, spoke at the Munk Centre on Sept. 20 about “Andy Warhol, David Hockney and the Secret of Physique Photography.” At his talk, copies of his book that had been ordered from the U.K. by Glad Day Bookshop were sold.

Oxford University Press felt Outlaw Representation was not legal for Canadian readers due to the inclusion of pictures taken by photographer Robert Mapplethorpe. As a result, Oxford University Press does not distribute the book in Canada.

Canada Customs requires that all printed items and publications imported into the country must be approved by customs officers who then are allowed to seize material they find “immoral or indecent.”

One controversial photo depicts two leather-clad gay men positioned alongside a picture of the Queen and Prince Philip. Another photo was a portrait of a naked five-year-old boy, whose mother commissioned the work in 1980.

“They refused to distribute them because of the content, which is ironic because the book is on censorship,” said Joan Golding, organizer of the event at the Munk Centre.

“It is not surprising that gay and lesbian materials have been systematically targeted under Canada’s obscenity laws,” said Anne Vassal, a member of the Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network & Canadian AIDS Society.

“When this happens it sets misconceptions of laws and builds on fear. This is a book on censorship and it shouldn’t be the publisher’s opinion where they are allowed to distribute it because of what they feel the laws are. It should be up to the bookstores,” said Toshiya Kuwabara of Glad Day Bookshop.

Outlaw Representation takes the risk of not only portraying homosexuality in its stereotypical form but also in traditional social roles such as housewives or office workers. The book tackles subjects such as censorship and intellectual and artistic freedom.

“I can’t say that I’m surprised that this happened,” said Bruce LaBruce, a Toronto based journalist/pornographer. “It obviously contained content which contravened the criteria for obscenity,” he added sarcastically.

“Coincidentally, the book, though not available in bookstores, is available on Amazon.ca,” said Kuwabara.