All good things must come to an end. But sometimes, they may get even better.

On Thursday, Oct. 16, Sherwyn Benn was named the new head coach of the men’s varsity basketball team. Former coach Ken Olynyk, a veteran of the Blues program for more than 13 years, is leaving U of T at the end of the month. He has accepted a position as athletic director at the University College of the Cariboo in Kamloops, B.C.

“People are already preparing themselves for the void,” says Benn, of long-time coach Olynyk’s pending departure. Starting in 1989, Olynyk led the Blues to the 1995 Ontario title, and three straight trips (1995-1997) to the Canadian Interuniversity Sport “final eight.” In the 2002-2003 season, Olynyk spent his sabbatical as a visiting coach with the Toronto Raptors.

For Benn, filling Olynyk’s shoes is “more of a blessing,” than anything else. “This kind of opportunity at 28-it’s rare,” he says. His appointment is considered interim, guaranteed only for one year. “I’m not looking further,” says Benn, but then adds “I’d love to be able to extend the opportunity.”

Things have come full circle for Benn. A Toronto native, Benn attended U of T’s Faculty of Physical Education and Health (FPEH) in 1996, where he played ball for the Blues. At point guard, Benn captained the team for three years and was named the team’s most valuable player three of his five seasons. After graduating in 2001, Benn spent time behind the Blues bench as assistant coach.

“My philosophy, is you work as hard as you can and good things will happen,” says the incumbent coach. With nine years of coaching experience under his belt at area camps, clinics, and high schools, and one more coming up with the Blues, Benn’s philosophy so far, is sound.