Thabo Mbeki, the current president of South Africa, has managed to distinguish himself from the title of ‘Nelson Mandela’s successor,’ yet his efforts have not always landed him positive publicity.

Mbeki, who is to speak at an invite-only event at U of T later this week, was elected President of South Africa in 1999. He is also the head of the country’s ruling party, the African National Congress (ANC). Mbeki’s career has been fraught with controversy, particularly in his stance on the HIV-AIDS crisis.

In 2000, Mbeki issued a letter to world leaders that questioned whether HIV caused AIDS. Most scientists believe that the two illnesses are linked. Mbeki’s view stems from the research of dissident scientists who reject the idea that HIV causes AIDS. The group includes Nobel Prize winners and members of the Academy of Sciences.

Mbeki has also raised hackles in the international community by refusing to distribute such AIDS drugs as AZT in public clinics. AZT is used to prevent the onset of AIDS, including in babies born to HIV-infected mothers. The ANC has maintained that AZT is toxic, citing reports that it was originally used as a cancer-fighting medication.

Part of Mbeki’s resistance has stemmed from a desire to prevent Western interference in South Africa. In his letter, Mbeki said: “It is obvious that whatever lessons we have to and may draw from the West about the grave issue of HIV-AIDS, a simple superimposition of Western experience on African reality would be absurd and illogical.” Mbeki has called for the development of a uniquely African response to the crisis, free from the imposition of Western scientific claims.

Darnace Torou from Africans in Partnership Against AIDS in Toronto denounces Mbeki, yet he believes his view has had little impact, “He has a strange position with HIV-AIDS, [but] it has not prevented or deterred people from continuing their programs against the disease…people are very aware of the situation in South Africa.”

Other observers are more sympathetic. AIDS drugs are expensive and even an 85 per cent reduction in their current price would deplete the entire South African health budget. Despite this, the ANC recently announced a plan to introduce the drugs into their health care system.

Other critics accuse Mbeki of perpetuating the stigma that surrounds AIDS in South Africa. In a recent statement, Mbeki claimed that he has never known anyone with AIDS despite the fact that his spokesman as well as several members of the ANC have died of the disease. In South Africa, one in 10 people, or five million, are HIV positive.

Mbeki was a critical part of the movement to end apartheid, a system which promoted the segregation of whites and blacks. It dominated South Africa from 1948-1994. Mbeki was central in negotiating with white South Africans and building trust with both them and the international community. His ability has been attributed to his rational and educated personality. He has come under fire, though, for having authoritarian tendencies and for his lack of criticism of Robert Mugabe’s dictatorship of neighbouring Zimbabwe.

Mbeki was born in South Africa in 1942. His earlier years were spent in exile due to his father’s involvement in anti-apartheid political movements. He was educated in England and acted as a representative for the ANC in several African countries before returning to South Africa. With the advent of the new regime, Mbeki was chosen as deputy president by Mandela and was later designated as his successor.

Mbeki will be speaking at the Great Hall in Hart House at 10 a.m. on Wednesday.