Professors and coaches should be sent back to school, says a new report coming out of the Faculty of Physical Education and Health (FPEH). The report examines discrimination in sport in regards to sexual diversity, and concludes that everyone affiliated with the FPEH-staff, students, and faculty-needs a lesson in awareness.

“In order to share space, to share a community, there needs to be an awareness that everyone isn’t the same,” says Kristine Drakich, head coach of the women’s varsity volleyball team and a member of the task force on equity that conducted the report. “This task force opens a dialogue and discussion…[it] acts as a catalyst,” she assures.

Started back in 2000, the recently completed report on sexual diversity addresses sexual discrimination in sport at U of T. “In sport and most forms of physical recreation, sexual minorities are frequently excluded by traditions that require conformity to traditional gender roles, and expectations of heterosexual orientation,” says the report

The aim is to make the official policy of the FPEH as strongly inclusive as possible by revisioning facilities, and academic and co-curricular programs. But with a deep culture of silence surrounding sexual orientiation, this could prove to be a trying task.

“The official position of the faculty and the position of the leadership is very supportive,” says Bruce Kidd, dean of the FPEH, about encouraging sexual diversity equity, “but the minute your backs are turned…there may not be as welcoming a response-and sometimes there’s a homophobic response.”

Educational seminars could help combat homophobia on the field and in the locker room, says the report. Workshops for staff and coaches would address the tolerance of homophobic language in athletics.

“Language is very important,” says Jude Tate, coordinator, LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, queer) resources and programs and a member of the task force, “in a dance class, the instructor will say ‘when the male is leading.”‘ Using gender-neutral language, she explains, “you would change that to ‘the partner who is leading.'”

But something so simple could be the biggest obstacle to the report’s success. Homophobic language is very entrenched, and goes well beyond sport.

“There is stuff like calling someone a fag,” says Eddie Moss, a member of the men’s varsity lacrosse team, “but I wouldn’t say it’s because we’re a sports team. I’d say it’s because we’re a bunch of dudes hanging out.”

What Tate is quick to point out, however, is that being on a men’s team does not necessarily make one a “dude.” “There’s this belief that there are no gays on our teams and no lesbians,” she says, “which is an absolute farce…the experience of people who are ‘out’ is that they are experiencing a social distancing as a result.”

Aside from opening discussion, raising awareness, and censoring language, the report also calls for changes to FPEH facilities and advertising. Co-ed locker rooms and gender-neutral restroom facilities are suggested. So is a re-evaluation of poster and website imagery. For example, the posters and ads for dance classes held at the AC picture only opposite sex couples. “You don’t have to put ‘queer is welcome’ [on the posters],” says Tate, “you can just put a rainbow triangle.”

The report is still being reviewed by the equity issues committee, as well as the appropriate academic and co-curricular committees. So far, there is no guarantee that the report’s recommendations will be implemented, and there is no price-tag fixed to the list.

Nevertheless, optimism for the report’s success remains high. “We’re not talking about billions of dollars,” says Kidd, “we’re talking about refocusing an already existing system.” Tate agrees. “I do think education and awareness can happen,” she says, “the cost there is time away from work…and it also takes the voice from the students.”

Speaking as a student and athlete, Moss’ reaction to the report is positive. “Any measure that promotes people being open-minded and appreciating diversity is a good thing.” And besides, he adds, “getting hit in the head with a stick by a straight guy should be the same as getting hit in the head with a stick by a gay guy.”