Blazing down chutes, finding bottomless powder, and sailing off back-country kickers is all in a day’s work for champion snowboarders in Warren Miller’s new ski and snowboarding film Journey.

Journey upholds Warren Miller’s 54-year tradition of promoting extreme skiing through a unique blend of sport documentary, amazing action cinematography, and humourous commentary. Released annually, his films represent “the ritual start of the ski season for skiers and snowboarders,” remarks Michael James, general manager of Warren Miller Entertainment (WME). Packed with thrilling action and magnificent scenery from exotic locations around the globe, Journey easily attracts large audiences.

The film’s overwhelming appeal, especially to young people, prompted Hart House Theatre to include Journey in this year’s Hart House Film Festival. The film will be screened Feb. 27th as part of a nationwide university tour. Paul Templin, general manager of Hart House Theatre, anticipates a sold-out show Friday evening.

“Warren Miller’s films are absolutely incredible! I’ve seen them on TV and they are truly spectacular,” said Templin. “The cinematography is just spellbinding.”

Initially, WME presented to the U of T Outing Club (UTOC) the option of screening the film. Through the university tour, the film and marketing material are provided to student ski clubs for use as a fundraising event. “After all,” explained James, “they are our future skiers.”

Derek Stonley, vice-president of UTOC, was ecstatic to hear from WME. “It’s right up our alley. We’re a club that does a lot of skiing and snowboarding and that’s what the film is about!” Plus, to a non-profit organization such as UTOC, the fundraising aspect of the event was very appealing.

Established in 1958, the clubs stresses outdoor activities such as cross-country and downhill skiing, snowboarding, skating, cycling, hiking, canoeing, and camping. “Our club is all about getting people off campus to enjoy the great outdoors,” explained Stonley.

In search of a theatre to screen the film, Stonley discovered Hart House Theatre was presenting the Film Festival the same weekend the university tour was stopping by Toronto. “It’s great that they were looking to do it at U of T this weekend and lo and behold the film festival is on,” said Doug Floyd, publicist for Hart House Theatre.

Running from February 26 to 28, the film festival is showcasing an array of old and new talent. The Hart House Film Board Gala takes place on the first night. Warren Miller’s Journey, followed by campus clips – eighty minutes of student film accompanied with door prizes-will be shown Friday evening. On the last day of the festival, Ron Mann’s Grass is coupled with the Super 8-Ring Circus.

Hoping to increase awareness of UTOC on campus, Stonley will set up a booth at the festival. “Publicizing the club at this event is key,” remarked Stonley. “After people watch Journey and are astounded by the skiers and snowboarders tackling some pretty awesome stunts, they’re going to get excited and will want to get out there do some winter activities. That’s what we’re here for.”

Miller, who began making films in 1947 with a budget of $500, continues to write and personally narrate an annual ski feature. For his films, he has been honored with numerous awards, including 10 CINE Golden Eagles, the distinguished International Documentary Achievement award, and the US Ski Writers Associations Golden Quill award.

Despite the dangerous stunts performed on the films, in 54 years none of the athletes have been lost or involved in a serious accident. Maybe because Miller generally gets the cream of the crop. “When winning the Olympics,” says James, “athletes say they want to do a Warren Miller film. That’s the pinnacle.”

Journey is destined to entertain the Hart House masses on Friday night, for as James says, the film is “a celebration of falling down a mountain…in a controlled manner.”

For tickets and theatre information visit www.harthousetheatre.ca or call the Box Office at (416) 978-8668.