U of T students have an exceptionally rich history of going on to achieve greatness. The list of U of T alumni is riddled with politicians, actors, social activists, doctors, lawyers, athletes, and every other profession imaginable.

Gabriel Robinson, who plays defensive end for the Toronto Argonauts, is one such example of this impressive lineage. He was a U of T student from 1997 until 2002.

Robinson, who goes by Gabe, is currently in his second season with the Argos. He studied fine arts and English, while giving five seasons to the Blue’s football program while at U of T.

After he graduated two years ago he moved up the ladder to the CFL.

Robinson has fond memories of the program, his coaches, and most vividly his teammates—–despite the fact that the squad only won two games in the five years that Gabe played for them.

When asked why he chose to play for U of T, given the Blues’ less than impressive track record, Robinson responded that there were a number of reasons that brought him to U of T.

Robinson, whose mother also attended U of T, was excited at the prospect of playing on a new team, with new people, and at a new school. Another factor contributing to his choice to attend and play for U of T was that he already knew the team’s coach at the time, Bob Laycoe, who Robinson refers to as an “upstanding guy.”

Prior to both his university and professional football careers, the Peterborough native had only played football for four years in high school. Although he remembers thinking that football players were cool when he was a child, his mother was ambivalent about letting him play.

According to Robinson, she was “worried about me getting hurt or hurting someone else.” Luckily she has changed her mind about her son’s choice of athletics and is now “enthusiastic, and some kind of a superfan!”

To date, Robinson is happy with his decision to play for the Argos. He calls the CFL “a good league to play in,” and although it lacks the “huge salaries and ridiculous fame” of the NFL, he said he feels “blessed to be there.” Robinson does not feel that playing in the NFL is a realistic dream for him, but seems content to bask in the glow of being a player in the CFL.

The Argos-a part of Canadian athletics for over 130 years-are having a solid year thus far. Robinson believes that they are in good shape to make the playoffs.

Although Montreal has already locked up first place in the East division, Gabe is hopeful that Toronto will stay right behind him. It would be a dream-come-true for him to walk away at the end of the season with a Gray Cup to his name.

Robinson, who is now 28 years old, enjoys music of all kinds and has just taken up golf. He is extremely personable, very funny and of course an exceptionally talented football player.

At the end of the day Gabe Robinson-who is amused by the fact that his jersey number (93) is the same as the year that the Blues last won the Vanier Cup-is a great addition to both professional athletics and the ever-growing and very impressive list of U of T alumni. He is a paradigm of success for current and future Blues football players to emulate; a player that is proof of the Blues’ potential.