Bobby Orr diving across the crease to put a cap on the Bruins’ Stanley Cup victory. Kurt Gibson’s homerun for the Dodgers in the 1988 World Series. Michael Jordan’s shot to beat the Jazz at the buzzer. These are all signature moments which define and careers could not have been any better had they been scripted. Such a moment was almost in the cards for Blues forward Jackie Cherevaty, who came painfully close to setting a new Ontario University Athletics (OUA) scoring record. Instead, though, Cheravaty revels in team moments, which are more valuable to her than any individual accomplishment anyway.

With 128 points, she stands eight points behind the previous holders, Lori Dupuis of U of T and Jules Stevens of Queen’s University. The OUA record was broken this season by Elizabeth Chiasson of Queen’s University, who now stands at over 140 points.

Despite her proximity to the record, Cherevaty was not overly concerned with matching or breaking it. “When I started playing [this year], I initially wasn’t even aware I was close until Christmas time,” she said. This is not to say that she lacksedfor enthusiasm, however, as she explained, “I’m happy to be back, especially to play again at such a high level. This year, I definitely want to go all the way.

“I think I’d prefer setting up the play,” explained Cherevaty when asked how she would have liked to achieve the record. Laura Foster and I passing it between each other, then a pass off to Jill [Savin] on the back post. I’ll take the assist.”

It seems Jackie has adopted this selfless notion that the team’s goal of winning a Canadian Interuniversity Sports (CIS) championship comes before any individual accolades. She appears to be much more preoccupied with being an OUA champion than with being the OUA career points leader.

The championship realm is familiar territory for Cherevaty, who was a member of the 2001 squad that went undefeated en route to the Blues’ first and only CIAU (now CIS) championship. When asked the best moment she’s had in her illustrious University of Toronto hockey experience, Cherevaty went no further than that very season to describe the highlight of her career.

“Winning the CIAU championship in 2001. We were undefeated,” she said.

One would never guess from talking to her that during that season she had 29 goals in 20 games played, or that she was the assistant captain. All that matters to her is that they won, and that she was on the team.

Equally as impressive as Jackie’s statistics is her reluctance to acknowledge them or herself without reference to the team. During interviews, she does not articulate any kind of individual sense of accomplishment.

When asked what kind of celebration she might do after a big goal, Jackie couldn’t help but laugh in humility.

“I’m not best at what we call Sallying [showboating],” said Cherevaty.

Part of her success in her career she attributes to Blues coach Karen Hughes, whom she described as “a great coach. She always produces a great team.”

Hughes had nothing but praise for Cherevaty’s performance. She has been playing hockey with the Blues for most of her school career, and has had Hughes as head coach for most of that time.

“Jackie’s a good player,” the coach said of Cherevaty. “She’s a good skater, she finishes well around the net. She’s really worked hard over the years.”

Cherevaty played for the Varsity Blues throughout her entire undergrad years before graduating with an engineering degree in 2001. After keeping in practice with a stint playing for the Mississauga Ice Bears, now called the Oakville Ice, she staged a comeback this year when she returned to U of T to earn a teaching degree. This is, unfortunately, her final year playing OUA hockey, as university players are only permitted five years playing eligibility. She still intends for Hockey to remain a part of her life, though, and says that there is a definite possibility that she will become involved in coaching rather than playing.

Cherevaty can even now look back with satisfaction on a long, eventful and exemplary Blues Hockey career.

Come watch Cherevaty and the rest of the women’s hockey team chase the OUA title at Varsity Arena on March 4 and 5, as the Blues host the women’s hockey playoffs.