While The Varsity has changed shape and focus over the years, the shadow of war that has been cast over Canadian society too many times has inevitably fallen across its pages. During this time of remembrance, we thought it fitting to present some selections from our past that reflect how some of the major conflicts of the previous century have occupied and changed the university community.

The Boer War at the turn of the century elicited little comment from the paper, perhaps due to the fact that it was a small-scale conflict fought out of the public eye. This simple brief sums up the pro-Empire feeling of the time.

Nov. 15, 1899

“A very large and representative audience greeted the eminent speakers on Imperial affairs Thursday evening. Dr. Parkin emphasized two points in particular, that England was in the right, and that out of justice to herself and to the nations in her charge, she had to hold South Africa. The students occupied the top gallery and led the audience in patriotic songs.”

In contrast, some aspect of World War I made it into every issue of The Varsity, be it a small news update, an announcement when staff or students were sent overseas, advertisements for uniforms and copies of the Infantry Training handbook (sold for 20 cents at the bookstore), or a military book review. As always, politics and religion were at the fore.

Nov. 4, 1914

Professor Duckworth, lecturing on the Balkan trouble, proffered an observation about Turkey, the spirit of which might be found at a tense EU meeting today, “Turkey, by her participation in the war, hopes to regain some of her lost territory in Europe. The events of the last few days showed clearly however that there is no room in Europe for barbaric Turkey-she has proven herself incapable of reform, and so must go.”

Nov. 9, 1914

“Not the least remarkable feature of the war is the spectacle of the Churches in ten Christian countries, each of which is calling on the God of Calvary to take its side. Ministers and clergy have been roused by the call of country, in the least expected and most intense struggle that the world has seen. Hate is let loose in the world. It rests with the clergy to say whether they will fan hatred by reviling our enemy, or sustain the Christian view.

Some doubtless in their hearts believe that only by fanning the flame of hatred can we keep patriotic feeling at white heat. In our view, patriotic feeling so created is a poor thing. But there is another patriotism, which rests on another foundation. These members of the clergy fight for a Leader, who was Himself the victim of the greatest crime in history. At the worst, He said, ‘Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.'”

The war had ramifications for the daily lives of students as well.

Oct. 14, 1914

The Varsity called on the university as an institution of learning to teach skills useful to the war effort. One such skill was the French language, logical since it was the common language between many continental troops. An editorial called for those professors, TAs and upper-year students not serving overseas to fill this need, toute suite.

“[The knowledge of French] is an affair of life and death. Mens lives by the thousand may be lost or saved by the knowledge of French possessed by one man. We appeal to the French Department. What action is to be taken with regard to this matter? It is vital.”

Nov. 30, 1914

In a communique officiale, the Varsity war bureau reported on the war games between the Officers’ Corps of various colleges held near the banks of the Don River. Describing this “bloody battle” to hold a Leaside factory and protect a C.P.R. bridge in which “all the men of both armies were shot several times,” the correspondent (with a touch of world-weariness, we assume) reported: “The main body [of troops], advancing in two sections, pushed back their opponents at centre, at the same time driving in the flanks. When they began to cross the field, however, they were mowed down in the hundreds by the reserves of the defence, but undeterred they fixed bayonets and drove their enemy back. By the time they were in striking distance of the arsenal, it was decided that both sides had had enough.” Good practice, true, but troops overseas weren’t able to enjoy a riverside picnic lunch before the battle, nor have noted “umpire” Colonel Lang decide the winner and offer tips for next time.

March 3, 1915

Undergraduate science students were quite disappointed when it was announced that a new field hospital, sponsored by the university and its affiliated hospitals, would staff only “a very few students, contrary to current reports.” The hospital, to be established amidst the communication area of the European front, would instead employ graduate nurses, professors and hospital staff to attend to the wounded.

The heightened moral significance of the Second War World brought out the best in the university’s rhetoricians, but also produced some interesting stories with a resonance still felt today.

Oct. 15, 1942

A contributor who would have something to say to Bush and the CIA today wrote this letter decrying the potential torture of German POWs. “The threat, first by Britain, and now even by Canada, to torture German prisoners of war in retaliation for similar offences committed by the Nazis against British and Canadian prisoners, is viewed with alarm by many progressive-minded Canadians. Is then our proposed offensive against Germany to degenerate into a slugging match of reprisals and counter reprisals against unarmed prisoners, and later, I suppose, against enemy aliens? The Nazis have been practicing torture and oppression for years and have become masters in the art of cruelty; are we at this late date to throw up the principles for which we are allegedly crusading?”

Jan. 21, 1943

Perhaps betraying his optimism, university president H.J. Cody forecast “a large influx of student-soldiers when once demobilization begins” that would stretch staff and resources to the limit. The federal government had pledged to generously compensate students returning after at least eight months of service-at this time, over 4000 students and some 200 staff were employed by the military in various functions-in order that they might complete interrupted courses. The school environment welcoming back these “student-soldiers” would have a markedly different look to it, as the engineering, dental and medical faculties had increased enrolments to fill wartime needs at the expense of enrolment in the Arts. Women picked up the slack in the Arts, however, as Sarah the Student joined with Rosie the Riveter in filling men’s places at school and work. Female enrolment has rightly grown steadily in all departments ever since.

March 12, 1943

The Aid to Russia Fund, one of many philanthropic efforts spearheaded by U of T students, received enthusiastic endorsement from the community. The fundraising effort to aid Canada’s beleaguered ally was seen as fitting, since, as Elizabeth Adam from Victoria put it, “We wouldn’t be a university at all if it weren’t for the Russians.”

Sept. 23, 1944

With the success of the D-Day landings as a backdrop, these excerpts from President Cody’s welcoming Varsity column express the new hope present throughout the land.

“In a mood of fresh confidence and hope, we begin another academic year. Five years ago we had entered upon a second grim world war in defence of the old issues of freedom, justice, mercy and truth. At long last today the cordon about Germany becomes visible. The end of the beginning has become the beginning of the end. The Day of Judgment for the evil-doers and their barbaric pedagogy is at hand.

“Naturally, the more energy and resource we throw into our war effort, the speedier and more complete will be the victory. The war is not yet over. Still must we stand fast and strike hard. All our university arrangements must be made against the background of the war. Certain inconveniences inevitably persist; but how comparatively slight they are!

“It is a privilege at any time and especially in these times to attend a university; it is a great responsibility, too. Make the best use of this opportunity, physically, mentally, socially, and spiritually. ‘Be prepared,’ as the Boy Scout motto puts it, for the world after the war by efficient doing of present duties. That ‘new world’ will, we trust, be an organized world, a world at work, and a world built upon the best of the past. In any case, you will be one of the ‘living stones’ in the structure.”

To come full circle, below are excerpts from the Remembrance Day editorial of 1944. The battlefields have changed, but the fight continues-lest we forget.

Nov. 10, 1944

Twenty-six years ago, armistice celebrants swept through their requiems and parades, streamers and jazz bands with an attitude very antithetical to that of many of us attending the service tomorrow morning. When we pause to turn back the pages of history, it will be manifest that the passage of time has ironed out former joys and sorrows so keenly felt two decades ago.

The fact that we have learned from our second World War is that the old bones of neutrality and international fellowship are dead issues. The last two universal struggles have respected no such ideals. Ideas of pacifism have only been played upon to weaken national strength. The awareness of these factors is the basis of future planning. The Armistice Service tomorrow serves as a rather terrifying reminder of the number of lives in the university alone which have been given up for the maintenance of an equal balance of power and its liberalizing concomitants. As the Honour Roll increases day by day, we must strive towards the establishment of a new order which will decrease the expendability of our youth as well as avoid the culmination of events leading to an overbalance of power.

The men whom we honour tomorrow represent the belief in a solid ideal. The peace which we will commemorate symbolizes an attempt towards the achievement of these two ideals.

-COMPILED BY J.P. ANTONACCI