In what was deemed a “groundbreaking step for better student services” by U of T President Dr. David Naylor, the Varsity Centre for Physical Activity and Health had its confirmation ceremony Friday in Varsity Arena. Though the day was chilly, the proceedings went warmly in what Naylor called a “happy day for the community of Toronto.”

“This will help bring our outstanding athletes to the national stage,” he said. “It shows our commitment to student life and the importance of believing in physical health.”

The centre is expected to be completed by September 2006 and will feature a 5,000-seat stadium with an artificial playing field and an eight-lane all-weather track. The state-of-the-art surfaces will accommodate field hockey, football, lacrosse, rugby, soccer, track and field, as well as double the number of practice hours for U of T teams.

An air bubble will cover the centre in the winter months, which will increase intramural hours from 90 to 1,285 annually.

The university will provide $16.3 million for the creation of the stadium, field, and track. Subsequent plans for the bubble structure, a four-storey south-end building to accommodate training, teaching, research and other renovations are part of a proposed $56-million complex that will count on a capital fundraising campaign. This site will be open to the community of Toronto by 2008.

Professor Bruce Kidd, dean of the Faculty of Physical Education and Health, emceed the event, calling the future stadium the “centre of campus life and community activity.”

William Davis, a former Ontario premier and alumnus of the university, cited the respect the structure will give the athletic program, saying “finally a recognition that there are also fine scholars who play athletics. Thank you.”

Also in attendance was Tony Ianno, minister of state (families and caregivers) and MP for Trinity-Spadina, and True Blue, U of T’s mighty mascot.

Ianno was pleased that new athletics facilities are on the way at U of T: “Today’s announcement demonstrates the U of T’s commitment to both its students and our community.”

Varsity Arena will still be in use during every phase of construction and renovation. The main entrance on Bloor is currently closed due to construction, forcing athletes and spectators to use the entrance adjacent to Philosopher’s Walk.