Like millions of March Madness viewers last Sunday, I bit my nails and held my breath as the University of Connecticut Huskies battled it out with the Kentucky Wildcats. I cheered, sighed with relief, and cracked open another can of Coke in celebration when the Huskies triumphed.

The win was certainly remarkable though not unexpected. My strange obsession with carbonated beverages, on the other hand, was definitely unusual.

There are a number of reasons why I could have suddenly felt like chugging voluminous amounts of Coca-Cola. The most interesting of these is that CBS, the station I had been staring at unflinchingly for nearly seven consecutive hours, agreed to an 11-year, $500 million deal with the NCAA to put the Coca-Cola brand on everything-including March Madness.

Many people feel that sports have become tainted by overblown hype and slick marketing ploys. Some claim that the media’s complete and utter mind control determines our entire lives-and not just our favourite breakfast cereal.

I was unconvinced, however, that aggressive marketing was to blame for my beverage choice. I couldn’t even remember watching a Coke or Sprite commercial. Besides, we live in an era of culture jamming, Nike-bashing, and consumer-savvy people who want to know what Steve Nash knows about MDG computers.

Surely, I would be able to tell if I was being manipulated or not, wouldn’t I?

It is impossible to ignore the influence of advertising in sport, as sponsors throw buckets of money at stars. Adidas would never pay 15 per cent of David Beckham’s yearly income just because he’s married to Posh Spice. He makes $6.7 million a year playing soccer, but over $20 million in endorsements.

Allen Iverson makes $50 million a year with Reebok. Kobe Bryant signed a $10 million dollar endorsement deal with Macdonald’s but his contract was not renewed after his sexual ‘indiscretion’ became front-page news.

Clearly, an athlete’s star power is enough to drive sales. A sports idol or team can easily become part of a consumer’s sense of self.

A survey done by Statistics Canada in 1998 found that children and young people between the ages of 15-18 are the ones most active in sport competition and tournaments. But participation in sports decreases dramatically as we age. When one ceases to participate on the pitch, one takes a spot as a spectator in the stands.

Young people who identify early with a sports team or favourite athlete will learn to associate companies with personal meanings developed from when they used to play ball with their friends down the street. Companies hope that this echo of nostalgia will bring consumers to their products.

But what role does corporate sponsorship play on campus? Less funding for amateur sports forces athletic departments to turn to the private sector.

Corporate sponsors provide more than $3.5 billion per year for collegiate teams in North America. Universities are accused of prostituting athletic talent for the sake of the almighty dollar.

College administrators claim that this is indeed necessary to alleviate the increasing costs involved in running a successful athletic department. The increased amount of funding available to sports teams through corporate sponsors has considerable benefits for collegiate teams.

Large companies provide the funding necessary for equipment, building maintenance, and lowered ticket costs. In return, sponsors receive publicity and recognition. Athletes benefit, spectators benefit, and the sponsors benefit.

Those who consider corporate sponsorship an asset will have a more positive attitude toward supporting the sponsors of their beloved teams. I occasionally want to eat Pizza Pizza for this reason, and I almost like it when I do.