The RCMP and CSIS are investigating a UTM student to determine whether to charge him with inciting and facilitating terrorism.

The student, Salman Hossain, posted online messages arguing for the legitimacy of killing Canadian soldiers serving in Afghanistan.

The offending comments first appeared last September, when German authorities arrested three Islamist militants for planning to bomb a German airport. That same day, according to the National Post, Hossain posted this text: “I hope the German brothers were gonna blow up U.S.-German bases in their country. We should do that here in Canada as well. Kill as many western soldiers as well so that they think twice before entering foreign countries.” The same post blames Canada’s participation in the war in Afghanistan on “Jew masters.” Since that time, Hossain’s posts have continued in this vein.

UTM students have formed a rapidly growing Facebook group, Expel or Suspend Salman Hossain. At press time, the group has attracted nearly 400 members, several of whom have posted comments, photos, and videos praising the Canadian military. Hossain himself has become an active member of this group, posting frequent responses and rebuttals to criticism.

The UTM student’s comments drew scrutiny from the RCMP, who are currently investigating Hossain. Said RCMP spokesperson Cathy McCory, “[The government is] committed to ensuring the safety and security of citizens, and we will not tolerate those that seek to harm Canadians.”

Stockwell Day, Minister of Public Safety, also condemning the posts.

“The promotion of hate and violence has no place in Canadian society,” he said.

Hossain’s posts have stirred fresh debate on the balance between freedom of expression and state security.

Walied Khogali, president of the UTM Student Union, condemned Hossain’s comments as overstepping the bounds of individual freedoms. “As a student union, we will forever acknowledge and encourage free speech, but there is a difference between free speech demonstrating disapproval and free speech inciting the killing of others,” said Khogali. “As a union, we cannot support anyone suggesting the murder of others.” He added that he felt the Muslim community at UTM joined him in rejecting Hossain’s comments.

But Khogali suggested that any procedure against Hossain should be watched closely. “I want to make sure that if he is charged of anything, he is given a transparent and due process of justice.”

In June 2006, Saad Khalid, then 19 years old and a business student at UTM, was arrested along with 16 other suspects in an alleged terrorist ring. Police apprehended Khalid in a warehouse, apparently preparing boxes to hold fertilizer. He is still in detention