For many life science students entering their final year of university, choosing the right graduate program can be a daunting task. With a wide range of options available, students must decide on a program that best suits their present interests and long-term career goals. While some have their sights set on medical school from the get-go, others are keen on finding a more specialized program that will develop their expertise in a particular scientific discipline. In the latter case, the Institute of Medical Science (IMS) at the University of Toronto does just that, providing students with the opportunity to develop their knowledge and skills in a chosen area of medical research.

Since its introduction in 1967, the IMS has grown to become the largest graduate unit in the Faculty of Medicine at U of T, with over 600 graduate faculty members and just over 500 graduate students. As part of its primary goal, the IMS ensures that its students receive extensive research training, so as to better prepare them for a future career in medical science. Under the guidance of a graduate supervisor, they are able to conduct original scholarly research and present their findings in peer-reviewed journals, adding to the growing body of knowledge that surrounds their chosen field of study. In doing so, the IMS aims to produce a graduate culture that practices ‘translational research’ — that is, research that is directly linked to patient care. Students are encouraged to understand the extent to which their findings may contribute to the future treatment of patients.

The IMS offers two main graduate programs for those who are interested in working in the clinical or medical sciences: the Master of Science (MSc) and the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programs. The MSc typically lasts just over two years and is primarily research-oriented, although some course work is required. The PhD program is much more intensive, as students must engage in full-time research work for approximately five years, with minimal course requirements. For each program, students must complete a thesis based on their research in a chosen field, which may include biomedical science, clinical science, population health and health services, bioethics, or radiation oncology.

In addition to these thesis-based graduate programs, several professional Masters programs are available at the IMS — the Master of Science in Biomedical Communications (MScBMC), the Master of Health Science in Bioethics (MHSc), and the Master of Health Science in Medical Radiation Science (MHScMRS). The MScBMC is ideal for students who wish to combine their interests in medical science with methods of media communication. The MHSc and MHScMRS are intended for those who want to develop their knowledge of bioethics and for those who plan on becoming professional radiation therapists, respectively.

By providing research training opportunities in various disciplines, it is no wonder that the IMS is rated so highly by its students. In 2007, 94 per cent of graduate students ranked their overall academic experiences at the IMS as good to excellent, according to the Canadian Graduate and Professional Student Survey.

While prospective students can look forward to a number of exciting opportunities at the IMS, it is important to note that admission into the graduate programs is quite competitive. As a result, students should take the necessary steps to ensure that they stand out from other applicants. Exceptional candidates are those who have a high academic standing in their undergraduate programs, relevant research experience, outstanding references, and a strong desire to be a part of the IMS.

For successful applicants, the benefits of holding a MSc or PhD degree are numerous. A large percentage of Master’s students enrol in medical school or receive additional graduate training upon completion of the program. Many doctoral students find their way into academia or postdoctoral fellowships after graduation, although the career possibilities are endless.