1. Volcano boarding

OLGA ABELEVA/THE VARSITY

Here’s another one to add to the bucket list. Volcanoes are terrifying enough, but folks in Nicaragua have finally found a way to put them to good use. Volcano boarding involves people zooming down ashen volcanic slopes on a plywood board. It’s loud, dusty, rough, and most importantly, scary. Despite being a tourist attraction, the volcanoes themselves are generally still active. Beyond the fiery threat of being chased by lava, volcano boarding is not an easy sport; enthusiasts tend to fall off their boards and amass cuts and bruises from volcanic rocks and ash. For those true thrill-seekers standing, instead of sitting on the board is also an option. An extreme variant of sand surfing, volcano boarding is rarely practised and not for the faint of heart. Let’s face it — you  have to be pretty dedicated to willingly exchange cash for ash.

2. Zorbing

OLGA ABELEVA/THE VARSITY

Unleash your inner hamster and take a tumble in what can only be described as a giant inflatable beach ball. If you have no problems with claustrophobia, zorbing is definitely worth a try. Originating in New Zealand in the ‘90s, zorbing is now a worldwide phenomenon. Granted, you might feel a little silly, but nothing sounds more fun than rolling down a giant hill. Naturally, the steeper the slope, the faster and more extreme zorbing becomes. The globe (or zorb) can even travel on snow and water with an interior harness always ensuring safety. To up the thrills and wackiness even further, some zorbing enthusiasts flood the insides of the globe as well.  If you happen to get lonely, fear not — the zorb can accommodate up to three passengers within its sturdy plastic walls. It seems as if we’ve found a new mode of sustainable transport; instead of global warming, why not global zorbing?

3. Birdman suits

OLGA ABELEVA/THE VARSITY

Look, up in the sky! It’s a bird! It’s a man! No, it’s a Birdman! Who would have thought this idea would ever take flight? By adding fabric between the arms and legs, human kind has found a way to glide and soar just like your average eagle. If you’re tired of free falling through the air and would like to experience more horizontal movement, perhaps it’s time to throw skydiving out the window and, as they say, “suit up.” But don’t be fooled: despite its name, when worn, the suit resembles a flying squirrel far more than an actual bird. The webbed design of the suit enables the athlete to slow down and “fly” before opening a parachute and landing safely. I won’t get into the physics (and dangers) of it all, but if you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to be superman, this may just be the sport for you.

4. XARM

OLGA ABELEVA/THE VARSITY

It claims to be the roughest three minutes in sports, and you’ve got to wonder why more of us aren’t watching the madness that is XARM. A cross between arm-wrestling, martial arts, and kickboxing, this fusion sport is probably the ultimate test of raw physical strength. XARM consists of three one-minute rounds that pit two muscle men against each other in intense combat. It has a point system and rules as legitimate as any sport, and the winner is decided either by knockout or decision; fighters are always given the option to submit themselves to defeat. It seems that the added elements of mixed martial arts have taken arm wrestling to a whole new level. Techniques with names such as “The Skyscraper” and “Knife Hand” are now all part of the game. Of course, the question is whether or not to take it all seriously. Perhaps it would be best to just keep it at arm’s length.