The Varsity’s recent editorial [“Where is the Liberals’ PSE plan?,” published October 7] presents a skewed account of the progress made on post-secondary education in Ontario. While in many ways, The Varsity‘s article was a fair representation of the student perspective, the Wynne government has persistently stood up for Ontario’s students and its educational institutions. The Liberal government has repeatedly expressed its commitment to make PSE accessible on the basis of ability to learn, not the ability to pay, and despite The Varsity’s contentions, this commitment has manifested itself in a number of concrete actions.

Kathleen Wynne's provincial government has been hard at work developing a comprehensive plan for post-secondary education. PAUL SCHRIEBER/FLICKR

Kathleen Wynne’s provincial government has been hard at work developing a comprehensive plan for post-secondary education. PAUL SCHRIEBER/FLICKR

Since 2003, the Liberal government has increased funding to post-secondary institutions by 80 per cent. This elevated level of funding allows for better quality programs in our schools and more dollars going toward the education of each post-secondary student. The Liberal government is also responsible for the recent legislation capping OSAP debt at $7,300 per year, significantly reducing the weight of student loans.

More recently, the government instituted a 30 per cent off-tuition grant, a program which over 230,000 Ontario students benefit from.

The Varsity’s assertion that the Wynne government has taken no action to support Ontario’s students is either a misrepresentation or a misunderstanding of the facts. Not only has the provincial government instituted the above reforms, but Minister Duguid has committed to tackling deferral and flat fees this fall.

Despite The Varsity’s intentions to illuminate the ostensible lag in PSE progress, their article instead stifles this conversation, and misrepresents the progress made by the Liberal government in the area.

Rather than broadening the divide between student and government interests, I hope that in the following weeks and months The Varsity will take advantage of this opportunity to work with legislators to provide productive ideas for policy development.

Of course, there is more work to be done, but what The Varsity, and the students of Ontario have to understand, is that the government is engaged in an in-depth consultation process, and this process takes time to execute properly.  It is also a process that predominantly includes the consideration of student opinions, like those expressed in The Varsity.

I encourage everyone to join in the conversation online, by submitting a policy idea to the Ontario Liberal Party’s policy-development site. I also encourage students on all sides of the debate to help foster an enriched discourse on student issues and reach out to Minister Duguid; his door will always be open to concerned students. As students, it is our responsibility to work together with legislators to make Ontario a better environment for students; I just hope that we’re up to the task.
Scott Dallen is policy director for the U of T Liberals.