Sunday’s World Cup final match was between Germany and Argentina. Contrary to many predictions and to the disappointment of the host-nation, Brazil, Germany won the FIFA World Cup with just one goal.

Argentina’s forward Lionel Messi, has yet to win a World Cup. He and the Argentinean team took on the well-structured and well-coached Germans. Unfortunately for them, the Germans succeeded at ending their 24-year World Cup draught. The coaching staff led the players to the championship win, with Joachim Low who has been with the team since 2006.

A blazing run down the left flank by substitute André Schürrle in the 113th minute laid the groundwork for a finish by Mario Götze which marked the only goal of the final.

With his classy and unnerved finish, Götze was awarded man of the match honours. Moving forward, the Germans will look to build on this year’s success heading into Euro 2016, while Argentina will look forward to the 2015 Copa America.

Having reached the finals in 2002, and the semi-finals in 2006 and 2010, Germany has finally triumphed over their losses by winning 1-0 over Argentina. In the last two instances in which Germany has faced the Argentineans, they knocked them out of the tournament in the quarterfinals.
Not only did this World Cup break Germany’s losing streak, it also marked the first time in World Cup history that a European nation won the World Cup in South America. Previously, all four South American-hosted World Cups were won by a South American nation.

Not only has this year’s rendition met and exceeded expectations; it has many commentators questioning where it ranks amongst other memorable tournaments. From the controversial 4-month ban levied against Uruguayan Luis Suárez for his bite against Italian Giorgio Chiellini to the humiliation of host nation Brazil, who many picked to win the cup, the tournament was one to remember.

Fans will look forward to the next FIFA World Cup hosted in Russia in 2018.

Tournament Awards
Golden Ball — Best player of World Cup 2014
Lionel Messi — Argentina
Golden Glove — Best goalkeeper of World Cup 2014
Manuel Neuer — Germany
Golden Boot — Top Scorer of World Cup 2014
James Rodríguez — Colombia
Hyundai Young Player Award
Paul Pogba — France

U of T students predict winner of 2014 FIFA World Cup

Rebecca and Ana. JENNIFER SU/THE VARSITY

Michael. JENNIFER SU/THE VARSITY

Michael. JENNIFER SU/THE VARSITY

Selin. JENNIFER SU/THE VARSITY

Selin. JENNIFER SU/THE VARSITY

Mika and Mari. JENNIFER SU/THE VARSITY

Mika and Mari. JENNIFER SU/THE VARSITY

Mark, Stephanie, and Braden. JENNIFER SU/THE VARSITY

Louis. JENNIFER SU/THE VARSITY

Louis. JENNIFER SU/THE VARSITY