On Monday, Kilian Elkinson and Claudia Piazza were recognized as the Varsity Blues Muscle Mlk Athletes of the Week.

Elkinson plays on the Varsity Blues men’s soccer team as a striker — the player that scores goals. Originally from Bermuda, Elkinson has been playing soccer since he was very young.

“Any time … someone I want to succeed does something amazing on the field, everyone shares in the happiness such a moment brings,” said Elkinson, recalling some of his favourite moments in the sport.

Elkinson 3

The men’s soccer team will face U of T’s rivals, the Ryerson Rams, this Sunday at Varsity Stadium at 2:15 pm. Last season, Ryerson placed first in the conference with a 12-0-2 record, while U of T sat in the middle of the standings in tenth place with a 5-4-5 record.

Claudia Piazza is the central midfielder of the Varsity Blues women’s soccer team. This is Piazza’s fifteenth year playing the sport and her second year playing with the Varsity Blues.

With the new season already underway, she is most looking forward to the team’s new head coach Stuart Neely, who she believes can guide the team to the national championships.

“I’m proud to be a part of such an amazing team of female soccer players and represent our school [through] … all of Ontario and Canada,” said Piazza.a
The highlight of Piazza’s time playing at U of T was competing in last season’s national championships on home turf, surrounded by home fans.

Piazza and her teammates will also face Ryerson at Varsity Stadium this Sunday at 12:00 pm. Last season the Blues’ women’s soccer team placed third in the province with a 10-3-3 record, while Ryerson finished sixteenth with a 3-11-2 record. In the CIS championship, the Blues finished fifth.

Other teams competing this weekend are men’s and women’s tennis, baseball, fastpitch, men’s and women’s lacrosse, men’s and women’s water polo, field hockey, mountain biking, and women’s rugby. The football team will also be facing off against the York Lions at Varsity Stadium in this year’s U of T homecoming game.