The Varsity Blues football team has had a difficult start to its season, winning just one of its last six games. But that win — a shutout over York University on U of T’s homecoming weekend — was a spectacular one, with the Blues’ single-game scoring the best in over 20 years.

Leading the team are captains Simon Nasser and David Green, starting quarterback and outside linebacker, respectively. Green, in his first year as co-captain, acknowledged that the Blues have had a rough start.

“Well, I would say that the start for our team had been a bit shaky,” said Green, “but we are all starting to come together and I think make some waves in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport… We beat the York lions 70–0; it showed what our team is capable of doing if we all play like we can,” he added.

Green is in his fifth year at U of T; he started playing football in his second year of high school and came to the Blues without the extensive experience of some of the other players.

“I was actually a walk-on for U of T. I just contacted my coach at the time and asked if I could try out for his team. That probably was the most nervewracking experience of my career,” said Green.

Since then, Green has seen changes both in himself — as he has come to better understand the game — and in his team.

“Over my career at U of T I have seen the team change drastically. It’s all an attitude thing. I think a lot comes from our head coach [Greg Gary], he is always pushing the team and the individuals to do our best,” he explained.

Co-captain Nasser agreed that Gary has had a huge part in the team’s improved level of play.

“Much of the credit goes to coach Gary,” said Nasser. “When he took over as our head coach he really helped change the culture and pushed us to strive to always be better. It showed with our 4–4 finish last season, which was the team’s best since 1993.”

Nasser, in his fourth year on the team, has had many personal achievements during his time with the Blues.

“I believe I have changed from a shy rookie to someone who my teammates can come to and depend on,” he said. 

With so many years on the team, the captains have had many highlights in their football careers.

“Winning the James A. Bennett trophy the last two seasons means a lot to me because it is an award that is voted by the players. The award goes to the player which is seen by his teammates as someone who overcomes adversity,” said Nasser. 

Beyond personal success, the two captains are invested in the success of their team and teammates. 

“As a leader in this program, I try to set a good example for the younger players,” said Green. “I make sure the team’s attitude towards the game is appropriate because going into a game with mixed feelings can cause an athlete to underperform… I like to talk to every player individually so I can talk to them on a personal level.” 

Looking back on their years with the team, both Nasser and Green have thoroughly enjoyed their time, largely because of the great team spirit they have felt.  

“My experience on the team has been incredible,” said Nasser, adding: “I could not have asked for better teammates around me. On and off the field there is a bond and a brotherhood that can’t be broken.” 

“I’d say my favourite part about being on the team is that I can call everyone in the room my family,” said Green. “We’re together basically all year round (training included) going through all the highs and lows of a season, those tough off-season workouts, and practices. While at university, the team becomes your surrogate family,” he added.

Green, Nasser, and the rest of the Varsity Blues Football team will return to the field on October 4 in Ottawa versus the Carleton Ravens.