It’s a familiar story: on the first Monday of the new year, people flock to the gym with more determination than ever to lose those five pounds by the end of the month. However, too soon afterwards, many no longer consider this goal realizable and gradually give up on their workout routine.

Perhaps one of the biggest reasons why resolutions to get fit often fail is that many people do not realize that these resolutions do not have to be drastic. Rather than viewing fitness resolutions as a deprivation of something (say, your favourite foods) or a drastic change, they should be viewed as opportunities to develop habits that are going to carry you through into the new year.

Settling into new routines can often be difficult, but it is usually comforting to know that you are rarely alone on your journey. If your goal is to become more physically active in 2015, the athletic facilities at the University of Toronto offer a wide variety of opportunities to get involved.

Hart House offers drop-in fitness classes, ranging from Groove Nation — for those looking for an enjoyable and effective workout — to Boot Camp for the more courageous.

If you would prefer to sign up for one of the many registered fitness classes at Hart House, the options are also countless. Perhaps you would enjoy exploring the art of Brazilian Capoeira or taking a beginners’ archery class. Registration and program information for these are available online on the Hart House website.

The Athletic Centre and the Goldring Centre also offer their own drop-in programs, which are free of charge for all U of T students and members.

In addition, there are a number of classes open for registration, including Cycle Fit, Hatha Yoga, and Olympic Weight Lifting. Finally, the MoveU tri-campus initiative has been implemented to encourage and assist students to use fitness as a means of enhancing educational performance.

The MoveU Circuit Challenge incorporates resistance training, core-strength training, and interval training circuits. Circuit I is free to all U of T students, and Circuit II requires a $10 deposit that is refundable upon completion of eight out of 12 sessions.

These group experiences will likely ease some of the pressure traditionally associated with the inevitable fitness-oriented New Year’s resolutions, and allow for an enjoyable experience that may even develop into a passion in the long run. Resolutions should be different for each person, and following through with those resolutions should never be made to feel like a competition.

Do not hesitate to celebrate your fitness successes of 2014, and do not look toward 2015 with doubt or anxiety. Rather, view the new year for what it is: an opportunity to gain from new experiences, rather than a reason to give up on old ones.