With the Pan American and Para-Pan American games just days away, here is a look at the sports venues and games taking place at the University of Toronto’s three campuses.

St. George Campus

Pan Am and Parapan Am Fields — which U of T students will know as St. George’s back-campus — was initially designed as a rugby pitch, but it was transformed into a two-turf facility in preparation for the games. The global class one facility will house practices and warm-ups, as well as a competition pitch for several sporting events during the games.

The controversial plan to implant synthetic turf in place of natural grass came with strong opposition when the idea was initially suggested. Many student groups, U of T professors as well as notable alumni voiced their concerns about the ‘turfing’ of back campus in preparation for the Pan Am games.

Despite the opposition — which included Canadian author Margaret Atwood — turf was laid and the facility was unveiled last year. The facility will temporarily seat  2,000 people.  Back campus will play host to the Pan Am field hockey and the Para Pan Am five-a-side and seven-a-side football events. The hockey events will also act as qualifiers for the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics.

Varsity Stadium

What began as the home for the Varsity Blues football team, Varsity Stadium has rapidly expanded to house athletes of all disciplines over the past 100 years.

Varsity Stadium is home to the Varsity Blues, football, lacrosse, rugby, and soccer teams, and plays host to both intercollegiate and intramural competitions throughout the year. Varsity Stadium, last updated in 2007 is a world-class facility.

With a seating capacity of 5,000, the stadium has long been used for both national and international games, including hosting the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts periodically between 1916-1958. This year Varsity Stadium will host the archery events for both the Pan Am and Para Pan Am events.

Scarborough Campus

The Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre, also known as the CIBC Pan Am and Para Pan Am Aquatics Centre and Field House, debuted in the fall of 2014 as one of the largest venues for the 2015 games. With two Olympic-sized swimming pools, diving tank, and dry-land facilities, the sports centre will host the swimming, diving, synchronized swimming, and fencing events for the Pan Am games, as well as volleyball, and parts of the modern pentathlon for the Para Pan Am games.

After the Pan Am games, the venues will be open to U of T students and community members, and will be operated by the university, thus enhancing varsity and intramural sports for students and faculty alike. The Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre will also be the new centre for the University of Toronto, Scarborough Campus’ Department of Athletics and Recreation, encouraging the growth of instructional programs offered to students.