It might be easy for an inexperienced group like this year’s volleyball team to overlook an opponent traditionally locked in the OUA’s cellar. In fact, had it not been for a few Blues high-flyers pounding Ryerson into submission, U of T could have handed the Rams their first win in 28 games.

The Rams (0-6) jumped out to an early 10-6 lead in the early going and after stemming a Toronto surge claimed the first game. They then battled back from an early 9-5 deficit in the second frame to tie the game at eighteen but the Blues (4-3) then won seven of the next eleven points and pulled the match into a dead heat.

“We just need to learn through experience how to take every team the same way,” said second-year hitter Josh Binstock of the 23-25, 25-22, 25-18, 25-14 win.

Despite some key losses to graduation, the Blues want to continue rule of their OUA fiefdom.

During their reign of power they have won 11 of the past 18 division crowns, including the 2000-2001 title. This year’s success has been based upon fluid team chemistry among its eleven underclassmen as a complement to the leadership provided by team veterans such as fourth-year Peter McKenzie (14 digs) and third-year Marc Arseneau.

“We’re all working pretty hard in practice, so hopefully by the end of the season it will show up,” said second-year setter Dale Chung.

The veterans’ composure was crucial in putting away the match as Arseneau hammered home many of his team high 13 kills in the fourth game to clinch the victory. The late flurry of hits from the junior left setter completed an effort that had been led by the strong play of Binstock, McKenzie, Jon So (second-year) and Senan Farrell (first-year) in the first three sets.

“My margin for error is pretty big with hitters like we have,” stated Chung. “I have hitters that make my work easy.”

Toronto’s record dropped to 4-3 with a 4-set loss at York on Thursday (25-22, 21-25, 25-17, 25-21).

Next weekend they travel for games Friday and Saturday against Laurier and Waterloo respectively.