Since September 11, some U of T students have felt that there’s been a war on more than terrorism—dissent has also been under attack. By organizing against the war, they have determined not to let their voices be muffled on issues of U.S. foreign policy.

The Coalition Against War and Racism (CAWR) formed soon after the terrorist attacks to create a space for alternative views. To that end, on November 30 they hosted a forum called “America at War: Deconstructing State Terrorism and the Current Attacks on Civil Liberties.”

Cristina Fernandez, a member of the coalition, explained that CAWR unites many ethnic and interest groups.

When the entire Muslim and Arab communities were scapegoated after September 11, CAWR decided to “come out with a different voice than the mainstream media has provided.”

Fernandez also expresses concern about the effects of the federal anti-terrorism bill C-36. “The bill targets people who they think are terrorists,” she said. “We might be targeted just because we represent dissent.”

Mughir Hindi, a coalition member who moved to Canada a year ago, explained that one of CAWR’s objectives is to get diverse organizations working together. “It is our role to work with everyone,” he said.

CAWR consists of about thirty regular members, mostly students. Despite exam time, they hoped the forum at OISE auditorium would attract more students and provide an opportunity to openly discuss these issues.

About two hundred people turned out for the event.

Salimah Valiani, a political economist and a member of CAWR, discussed the ideological and political reasons for Canada uncritically following U.S. initiatives. She argued that Canada supports the U.S. to preserve trade. However, she observed, “a time of war is a window into conditions of peace.”

Michael Mandel, a professor at Osgoode Hall law school, charged that the war was both illegal and immoral. He identified it as “a flagrant violation of the charter of the United Nations,” because the bombing of Afghanistan is not actually an act of self-defense. To resounding audience applause he said that “this act is terrorist in itself.”

The keynote speaker introduced a perspective on how the war is affecting Israel and Palestine. Norman Finkelstein, who lectures at Hunter College in New York, explained the history of the conflict and speculated that the U.S. wants to keep Israel dependent because “if it’s not dependent, it’s not useful.” He hoped that the U.S.’s strategy might change in light of recent events.

Students attending the forum offered their support. Lara Karaiah, a grad student at York, came mostly to hear Mandel. She praised his fusing of law and politics. “Students can disseminate critical and alternative perspectives,” she said.

U of T student Blake Richards thought that some of the information presented was too broad, but appreciated the opportunity to learn more about the war. “Students, as educated members of society, can help spread information about the realities of this war.”