Performing at peak levels immediately after a long break is never easy. Jocelyn Adu-Gyamfi learned that lesson first-hand this past weekend at the Sharon Anderson Track and Field meet in the Athletic Centre. Fresh off a two-week break, Adu-Gyamfi fell short of some lofty goals she had set for herself coming into the meet.

“I wanted to go low 6,” she said, referring to her goal of approaching the CIS long jump record of 6.24 metres she set at last year’s nationals. “But considering the fact that I haven’t trained for two weeks, I can’t expect too much out of myself.”

Adu-Gyamfi ended up finishing second overall (first among university athletes) in the event with a first jump of 5.86 metres, coming behind Althea Williams (5.92m) of the University of Toronto Track Club (UTTC). She was later forced to withdraw from the final heat of the 60-metre dash (3rd fastest qualifying time) with a sore back she injured in the long jump.

“The jump felt good and as I landed I felt the pain in my back,” she said of her last jump in the final flight.

Melanie Cjiu (5.22m) and Amara Gossin (4.87m) also competed in the long jump final.

“We had some incredible performances, considering this is early January,” said coach Carl Georgevski of his team’s performance following winter break. “If they stay healthy and focused they’re going to have an outstanding year.”

This year’s team is comprised of a large group of first and second year athletes whose multiple talents allow the team to excel in a number of events.

In the 60m Leia Ince-Mercer showed good times in preliminary heats before falling victim to a tough start in the final round. That did not deter her from coming in second in the 300m with a time of 40.14. In the relays, U of T swept the top spots in the men’s and women’s events. The Blues boasted a one-two finish in the women’s event with times separated by only 1.5 seconds.

High jumper Sophie Cardinal jumped to a third place finish with a leap of 1.70m, coming behind two national-level athletes. Yolessa Lawrence placed second overall in the women’s triple jump by bounding 11.73 metres. The 300m sprint was another encouraging area for the Blues, with Luke MacInnis taking second place overall in a time of 35.54 for the men, the fastest time turned in by a U of T runner in ten years. On the women’s side, Leia Ince-Mercer (40.14), Paula McLaughlin (41.79) and Michelle MacDonald (41.91) placed second, third and seventh respectively. Jonathan Cooper won the 600m with a time of 1:24.68. McLaughlin took home the top prize on the women’s side with a time of 1:34.58 and was followed by teammate Anna Kinloch (3rd place, 1:36.23).

Blues pole vaulter Charlotte Ireland took first place with a jump of 3.20 meters. Members of the cross-country team came up big on the track, as Sasha Gollish and Sandy Wells grabbed the top two spots in the 1000m with times of 2:59.33 and 3:07.97 respectively. Liz Ben-Ishai edged teammate Suzanne Garrett (4th place, 4:53.86) in the 1500m for first place with a time of 4:45.07.

Men’s cross-country runner Selam Yohannes, who’s been battling injuries the past three seasons, managed a third place finish in the 1500m after getting off to a fast start then falling behind down the stretch.

“I’ve been trying a little bit more of a sprinter start,” he said of his speed off the line. “I’m not as fit as I should be…I kind of led the whole thing and didn’t lock down mentally [at the end].”

Toronto’s Trevor Caldwell (4:02) finished fifth in the men’s 1500m behind first place runner Rob Berg (3:57) of Queen’s.

In the 60-meter intermediate hurdles Priscilla Lopes (8.56) of Central Pickering was followed by a bevy of Blues as MacDonald (9.36), Pia Kaplanek (9.73), Gossin (9.74) and Cjiu (9.80) took third through sixth place respectively.